General Category > Equipment and Software

Propane Burners

(1/7) > >>

mikeypedersen:
I've been using the same 55k BTU burner for years doing both 5 and 10 gallon batches.  For the 10 gallon batches I have been getting sick of heaving my kettle onto the burner with the temp of the wort at that point at around 140-150 and then waiting an hour or more to get a boil.  I think I'm going to buy one of the 210K Banjo Burners, but just wanted to check with folks about how much propane they eat up......Do you go through a lot more gas?

a10t2:
Why not drain the mash tun into the kettle while it's already on the burner? By the time I finish sparging (for a 5 gallon batch) the wort in the kettle is already at around 180°F.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 22, 2010, 01:05:52 PM ---Why not drain the mash tun into the kettle while it's already on the burner?

--- End quote ---

If you batch sparge and you only own one burner, that may not be possible.  That's the way I run and I need my burner to heat my sparge water while the first runnings are draining from the mashtun.  Once I dump the sparge water in, I then have to lift the kettle (granted, only half full) onto the burner and the sparge runoff can then go into the "on burner" kettle.

mikeypedersen:
That's how i'm running it also, but I don't have a pump either.  I'm going to get a new low-profile burner and elevate my HLT and Mash Tun and rely solely on gravity for now.  I'm just wondering what kind of burner to get.  4x the BTUs of my current burner just sounds nice.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: hokerer on January 22, 2010, 01:48:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 22, 2010, 01:05:52 PM ---Why not drain the mash tun into the kettle while it's already on the burner?
--- End quote ---
If you batch sparge and you only own one burner, that may not be possible.
--- End quote ---

It isn't a problem for me. I just heat my sparge water to 200°F or so, set it aside, and by the time I'm done with the first runnings it's still plenty hot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version