Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another BJCP Test Done, and Something's Brewn LHBS Review  (Read 1904 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Another BJCP Test Done, and Something's Brewn LHBS Review
« on: January 14, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
Took the test for the second time today.  I'd like to think I did better on this one, I just need a better tasting score to bump to Certified but I took both parts for fun.  Man that exam is a real test of time management.  I'm not sure why it is that way, I guess they are just making it challenging.

It was administered by the guy who runs the homebrew store in Galesburg IL, Something's Brew'n.  I arrived in town early enough to check it out and that is one fine homebrew shop.  Small footprint but they have a great selection of hops including a lot of new varieties, an assortment of specialty grains some of which I hadn't seen before (and I shop a lot), Wyeast and Whitelabs yeasts, and all the latest/greatest gadgets.  All prices were in line with online stores.  I broke down and bought a Beergun after being seduced by the recent thread in the equipment section, a 5gal plastic jerry can for no-chill, some new hop varieties, tubing, Maris Otter, carageenan finings, and another rack for my bottle tree.  Talked to some people after the test and they order from SB and it sounds like they are all really well satisfied.

Anyway, thanks to Jim and Mary for the hospitality and the invite to take the test.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Another BJCP Test Done, and Something's Brewn LHBS Review
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:43:51 am »
Good luck on the results!
Dave Zach

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:03:03 am »
Thanks.  I think BJCP is taking three or four months for turnaround now, not terrible.  Already having taken and passed the test, I have no trouble getting seated.  Seems like most contests are generally growing and often hurting for judges as a result.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:55:29 am »
Thanks.  I think BJCP is taking three or four months for turnaround now, not terrible.  

Four months and counting for me, but I'm not complaining.  I know what a pain in the a$$ it is to grade essay tests.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:43 am »
congrats.  this is on my to do list but i also have to get ready for my recertification boards this year.
speaking of LHBS in illinois, for those of you who live in the naperville - plainfield area there is a new shop called chicago brew werks.  they just opened on the 4th of january and they are off to a good start.  stop in and say hello to Brandon and Amanda.
Don AHA member

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:15:59 am »
OK I won't start holding my breath after three months!

We're headed up to Minooka, then on to Hoffman Estates in two weeks.  I'll have to stop by the new shop and check it out.  We're going up to give a friend a brewing lesson.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO