Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HOmemade mix stir  (Read 2447 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
HOmemade mix stir
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:10:25 am »
I have a carboy and corny cleaner with detachable cleaning pads. I looked at the pics of mix stirs and they seem to operate on exactly the same principle. So, can I fabricate my own? Any ideas on how it should be designed?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: HOmemade mix stir
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 09:30:27 am »
I would think it shouldn't be too difficult.  It's a pretty simple concept.

If you can get 5/16" or 3/8" stainless steel rod, and you have a drill press available to you, you could cut the rod to the length you want and then cut two pieces of rod to 1.5 or 2" long.  Drill a hole through each piece so you can slip a SS bolt through the three.  Make sure the bolt is long enough to accept a self-locking nut and still allow the pieces to move freely but not so long it doesn't fit down the neck of a carboy.

Sanitize it and chuck it into your drill.

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:03:18 am »
If you go that route be sure to test it with your carboy before final assembly. With the bolt & hardware it may not fit through the neck of the carboy. Don't ask me how I know this....  ;)  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:35 am »

If you can get 5/16" or 3/8" stainless steel rod, and you have a drill press available to you, you could cut the rod to the length you want and then cut two pieces of rod to 1.5 or 2" long.  Drill a hole through each piece so you can slip a SS bolt through the three.  Make sure the bolt is long enough to accept a self-locking nut and still allow the pieces to move freely but not so long it doesn't fit down the neck of a carboy.

Paul

Hrm, so just the two rods to stir, and not some sort of paddle-shaped thing? Although I guess the idea is to make this basically like a stirplate in reverse...
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:34:58 pm »
Phil, is this because you want to build one or because you don't want to pay for shipping from the US?

If the latter, you might be able to find a drill mountable paint stirrer at the hardware store.  They're pretty cheap here, not sure about there.  It won't fit through the neck of a carboy, but aren't you moving to larger fermenters soon anyway?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:00 pm »

Paul

Hrm, so just the two rods to stir, and not some sort of paddle-shaped thing? Although I guess the idea is to make this basically like a stirplate in reverse...

Pretty much.  I was basically laying out how to make the mix-stir thingies I've seen on online sites lately.  I think what you lose in surface area is made up a bit by the speed the drill runs at.

As Tom said you can get a brand new paint mixer at the HW stores here for a few bucks that work in a container with a larger opening than a carboy has.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?