Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: making a bug blend  (Read 1418 times)

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
making a bug blend
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:17:10 am »
My local club is going to fill a 55 wine barrel with a Belgian Brown Ale after we have each done our own primary fermentations.  What I am wondering is: if we make starters of each of the individual bacteria and brett., what is a good ratio to add to the barrel.  I have heard that making a starter (or using 2nd generations) of a commercial blend might result in a change in the original ratio.  (Or do we even need to build up a starter?)
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: making a bug blend
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:57 am »
Can't answer as to the ratio. Half of making sour beers seems to be closing your eyes, throwing it at the wall and hoping it sticks. :)

On the commercial blend issue, my one problem with a starter is that if your blend contains things like lacto or pedio, they have different needs to guarantee optimal growth that yeast and brett. Ultimately with pedio, it's not going to matter. stuff's invasive if it gets established (sometimes tricky). Lacto on the other hand is a bit more finicky.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:14 am »
This might be a good question to propose to Wyeast or White Labs. I'm unsure of the bacterias requirements like FAN, O2 or nutrients but they may be able to lead you in the right direction.
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:48 am »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958