Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: gelatin fining in keg  (Read 30507 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
gelatin fining in keg
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »
I've got a couple batches that don't really want to clear.  I'm on the third or fourth gen of this yeast and think I obviously have wound up with the less flocculant cells.

I know you can fine in the keg, but I've never done it.

The beer is carbonated.

Once I put in the gelatin, how long should I expect for clearing?

Also, I've heard many times that the first pint should blow the gunk out.  But I'm leery. 

Any experiences and tips you can share would be appreciated.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Re: gelatin fining in keg
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »
All I do is stir in about 1/3 pack of knox into about a cup of water stirring it until it boils. Then I dump it in the keg and close it fast. It will foam if it's carbed. Three days later it  is much clearer. I think I get less gunk than I do form a powdery lager yeast cake.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:32:24 pm by Malticulous »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:32:54 pm »
Geletine works quite well in keg.
I use 1/2 pack or 3.5 grams of gelatine in 1 cup of water that was in 1 quart mason jar.
Let it bloom for 20 -30 minuter.
Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Pour hot liquid into keg.
Wait few days and enjoy your clear beer.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:44:33 pm »
Microwave on high for 1 minute.

The woman who watches my kids set the microwave on fire last week...

Don't ask.

I'll boil it on the stove.  Since I don't have a microwave.

Do you transfer to a different keg?  Or just blow out the sediment with the first pint or two?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 06:51:33 pm »
I don't think you want to boil it, just pasteurize it.  I heat my mixed solution to about 160 and add it to the cold beer in the keg.  It will clear in the time it takes for the hot liquid on top to reach the same temp as the cold beer and then settle to the bottom.  I usually get a glass of gummy stuff and then nice, clear beer.  I don't transfer to another keg unless I need to move it or take it to an event.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 07:16:22 pm »
Yeah, I've been told boiling is bad too.  What you could do is bring some water to a boil, shut it off and let it cool a bit and then add the gelatin.  I'm no expert but boiling apparently does bad things.  You want it hot to dissolve (and probably for other reasons I'm not aware of) but not boiling.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
So I've noticed everyone is using less than a full packet.

Are there negatives to using a full packet of gelatin?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »
I used a full packet of knox gelatin for years until somebody on this forum said to use less.  My experience is that a full packet clears the beer faster and more thoroughly.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:59:11 pm »
With finings there is always the fear of stripping flavor.

Boiling may not make good jello but I don't think it will change the ionic charge (I don't boil it longer than a few seconds anyway.) Gelatin and isingalss have opposite charge of yeast and some proteins so it attracts them. With the added mass they fall to the bottom faster. Polyclar has the opposite change and can get other proteins and tannins.

Offline redzim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 06:26:10 am »
I don't think you want to boil it, just pasteurize it.  I heat my mixed solution to about 160 and add it to the cold beer in the keg.  It will clear in the time it takes for the hot liquid on top to reach the same temp as the cold beer and then settle to the bottom.  I usually get a glass of gummy stuff and then nice, clear beer.  I don't transfer to another keg unless I need to move it or take it to an event.

+1 This is pretty much what I do.  Works great. Beer is clear after about 8oz of sludgy stuff. BUT it seems like a ot of that sludge clings to the side/bottom of the keg, so be aware that whenever you move or disturb the keg you'll loosen some of it up and get another cloudy glass the next time you pour one.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:58:03 am »

+1 This is pretty much what I do.  Works great. Beer is clear after about 8oz of sludgy stuff. BUT it seems like a ot of that sludge clings to the side/bottom of the keg, so be aware that whenever you move or disturb the keg you'll loosen some of it up and get another cloudy glass the next time you pour one.

Red's beer has the most outstanding brilliant clarity of just about any homebrew I have seen.  Going to use his technique in the future to see if I can get that level of clarity.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:17 am »

This is why I'm thinking that after I fine it I might blow out the first pint and then jumper the keg to an empty and just transfer the whole batch.

I've got a beer on tap right now that I get sediment on the first pint every time I pour from it, and the keg is not getting moved.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:18 am »
Here's my method for 5 gallons of beer.

1. add 1 tsp gelatin to 8oz (cold water)
2. let stand for 30 min.
3. microwave until you see the first bubble (then stop microwave)
4. chill to 40F
5. add to chilled and kegged beer and gently stir.
6. allow 24 hrs to settle
7. force carbonate beer
8. blow out gelatin sediment and serve beer
Ron Price