Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Re starting starter  (Read 1550 times)

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
Re starting starter
« on: January 17, 2012, 07:41:54 am »
I was going to brew weekend before last and got my starter going as normal.  Well the weekend came and went and I was not able to brew so I put foil over the top of the flask and put in the fridge.  I am finally going to be able to brew this coming weekend and wondered...

A.)  Should I take out the starter I've made and bring to room temp and just pitch as is or
B.)  Should I add more wort and "wake" the yeast up a day or so before pitching or
C.)  Throw out and start over or
D.)  Quit my job so I can brew whenever I please!  ;D

Thanks..
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Re starting starter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 07:47:24 am »
Remove your starter from the fridge and let it slowly warm up to pitching temp, then decant the spent wort and add about a quart of your second runnings (chilled) or some 1.030 wort to the yeast slurry and swirl the yeast into the fresh starter wort. I usually allow the yeast a few hours in the fresh wort. Pitch the entire active starter into your chilled beer and ferment accordingly.
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:54:27 am »
A.)  Should I take out the starter I've made and bring to room temp and just pitch as is (Not going to hurt anything)
B.)  Should I add more wort and "wake" the yeast up a day or so before pitching (Optimal)
C.)  Throw out and start over (No. it's fine as long as you don't have anything nasty growing in your fridge)
D.)  Quit my job so I can brew whenever I please!  ;D (Most optimal so long as you can keep a roof over your head!)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tcanova

• Assistant Brewer
  • Fayetteville Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:13:20 am »
Thank you both!  Looking like Saturday will be the brew day!
What's the worst that could happen?  Beer?

Wooo Pig Sooiee