Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: RIMS/HERMS universe... what are they?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
RIMS/HERMS universe... what are they?
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »
Can someone explain to me in simple terms the difference (if any) b/w a RIMS and HERMS system?

How do they keep an entire mash heated by just re-circulating wort?

Is there one or two good books/websites to start researching to build one of these systems?

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
Re: RIMS/HERMS universe... what are they?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:35:15 pm »

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:02 pm »
Here is a link to a BYO online article explaining RIMS/HERMS. Hope it helps.

http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/29-equipment/84-abcs-of-recirculated-brewing-systems

Super helpful! Thanks, I love BYO articles!

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:49 pm »
Here is a link to a BYO online article explaining RIMS/HERMS. Hope it helps.

http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/29-equipment/84-abcs-of-recirculated-brewing-systems

Ok, so I read this article but there is still one thing I don't understand. The article states that wort temps are kept up by a 1500-4000watt electric heating element. When I looked up example systems like the Brutus 10 and the Fair Wx I don't see any heating element. It looks to me like the wort leaves the mash tun, hits a sensor and if it's under temp the computer kicks on the propane burner. Is this what these systems are like? This seems easier to me.

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:53:35 pm »
This is a RIMS tube.  You pump the wort through the tube that houses the element.

Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »
Ok, so maybe me not "seeing" it was b/c it just looks like a piece of metal tubing sticking out of the mash tun?

I can't figure out how to put the pic on here but when I look at the Brutus 10 for example at http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus.html, the 9th pic down shows a metal tube about 4 inches wide. I guess that's it.

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:46:06 pm »
correct that is the RIMS tube.  I find that HERMS is a little easier for me.  I have my HLT at 180 degrees and can pump the wort through the heat exchanger til the mash tun controller kicks the pump off
Low Mo Brewing Company

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:07:26 am »
Though you can have a rims without the tube if you have a direct fire mash tun and a large surface area burner. I dont have the electronics yet but this is how I do mine with my keg mt and blichmann burner. It is more of a pain than with the electric heating element since you have to monitor you flame for the entire time so you don't scorch the bottom of the mash.
I was also talking to another member of my homebrew club that does this, but he has a turkey fryer burner and is using an old false bottom to break up the heat so it's not in one point, and seems to have good results with it.

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:35:22 am »
A direct fire mash tun is not a rims.  RIMS stands for Recirculating Infused Mash System.  The basic principle is removing wort, heating it outside the mash tun and returning it to the mash tun.  You merely have a direct fire mash tun.
Low Mo Brewing Company

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »
A direct fire mash tun is not a rims.  RIMS stands for Recirculating Infused Mash System.  The basic principle is removing wort, heating it outside the mash tun and returning it to the mash tun.  You merely have a direct fire mash tun.

Yes that is true, but I said you didn't need the tube that would contain the electric heating element. You do still need to recirculate, but it is not such that you have a 3 burner system and still need a 4500watt(random wattage) heating element also. Such as with a brutas 10 with 3 burners and a pump you can have a RIMS and not need to buy an additional water heater element and build a separate heating tube to recirc through to raise the temp.
As seen here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/direct-fired-rims-208873/

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:30:41 pm »
Still not a RIMS.  Just because you're recirculating does not mean you are Infusing the mash.  Recircing a DF Mash is simply to eliminate the stratification.  You're not adding any temperature outside of the mash tun, which is where the I in RIMS comes from, Infusing.  I guess I'm splitting hairs here, I just prefer not to call apples oranges.
Low Mo Brewing Company