Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iceland bound...  (Read 2467 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Iceland bound...
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
This time tomorrow night, I'll be waiting to board a plane to Iceland!  I plan to visit at least 2 of their breweries, (whose names I can't pronounce, much less spell with an american keyboard!) Olgeroin is one, but I hope to hit at least 2 more in the Rejkyavik area. Anyone heard of any? Suggestions are welcome. Or is Iceland a bit too obscure?  Will post pics and teasers upon my return!  I will miss my AHA friends!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Iceland bound...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:43:18 pm »
Ok, guys, got my first beer report from Iceland...  The first couple I have tried were fairly basic.  Tuborg, from Denmark, a pilsner, was somewhat bitter, and kind of plain. Same with Faxe, also from Denmark, but this one was more like an amber lager... decent malt flavor, but still kind of light. This afternoon, I went to a pub and tried Norðan Kaldi, an authentic Icelandic beer, made from all Icelandic grains. They used Czech and New Zealand hops, (my guess is Styrian Goldings, and Nelson Sauvin) Nice malt up front, a sweet after taste with light fruit undertones. Not much in the way of hops, subtle.5.6% abv. Over all a nice drinkable beer. And right now, I am drinking a Mori, from Ölvisholt Brugghus, also an Icelandic beer. Not sure what type it is, as I can't read Icelandic, but it is a beautiful red color, with a medium hop bitterness. Great malt backbone. Light sweetness in the finish, but not too much.5.5%abv. My favorite so far. I will be visiting a brewery later this week, and hope to have some better info for you then.  Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:23:43 pm by theantipunk »
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline jet.gorilla

• Cellarman
Re: Iceland bound...
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:13:05 am »
Interesting.  if I recall, the last time I went to Iceland beer wasn't legal which is why we would sneak it in by hiding it anywhere we could in the plane.    A Budweiser was an awesome bartering tool.  How things change.