Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sulfur smell in a pear cider  (Read 10499 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Sulfur smell in a pear cider
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:05 pm »
Greetings,

Ah, my first pear cider and I'm confronted by a distinct sulfur smell, first noticed in day 10 when it appear fermentation is done and I racked to secondary, and still existing on day 25.  I'm guessing that I either I racked off yeast to soon, should have used yeast nutrients like I do for my meads, or simply need to wait until this clears up.

The pear juice is from a fresh pressing at a very good cider mill.  I used lalvin-47.  Fermented at 64f.
The OG was low ( a very wet year) 1.040, so perhaps not enough nutrients and yeast stressed?
A friend did a batch from the same source, used safale-05 and having same type of sulfur smell.

Thoughts?

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Sulfur smell in a pear cider
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:12:35 pm »
as per majorvices new discovery, perhaps try gently stirring with a piece of copper to reduce or eliminate the sulfur.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
I'd say just give it some time.  I've noticed sulfur in both pear and apple ciders early on, but it goes away.  I typically do a 2-4 month primary and 6(ish) months in secondary.  I tend to think of cider more like wine than beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:33:02 pm »
I'd also let it sit and the sulphur will most likely disapate. Also, did you check gravity when transfering, I'd be surprised if it was ready - I usually have activity for 3-4 weeks.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:02:09 pm »
Yep - I just need to be patient.  The sulfur smell is pretty much gone - all on its own.  I usually wait out most things I brew, but was told that perries be done in a short time and ready in 3-4 weeks. 

Thank you all as always!

Offline kenschramm

• 1st Kit
  • Mead head
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »
D-47 regularly throws big sulfur odor early in its fermentation.
bright red cherries against a blue sky, fresh and ripe, preserved through time...

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 08:59:21 am »
D-47 regularly throws big sulfur odor early in its fermentation.

Thanks Ken. This is the first I used D-47.

What is interesting is we used Safale-05 with same pear juice and had similar high sulfur smell that eventually went away too.    Perhaps sulfur production more prominent in pear cider fermentation? Given this was a very wet year, not a lot of nutrients in the juice, stressing the yeast?  Oddly, in the 1 gallon batch I let "naturally ferment", it did not exhibit the sulfur smell.

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 11:29:24 am »
Well the aroma has cleared up fine.  A nice tasting perry - a bit on the light side.  As always, the key is to relax and let things take their course.

My friend whom used the SafAle05 still has a funky odor to his  He carbonated too early, as it is now in the keg and no way for odor to leave the cider.  He'll probably rack back to carboy to see if the scent leaves.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 01:14:17 pm »
Don't put copper in Cider. The low pH and copper aren't a good mix.

Ciders (apple or pear/perry) often through sulfur during fermentation, but it will age out fairly quickly.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:46:46 pm »
Well the aroma has cleared up fine.  A nice tasting perry - a bit on the light side.  As always, the key is to relax and let things take their course.

My friend whom used the SafAle05 still has a funky odor to his  He carbonated too early, as it is now in the keg and no way for odor to leave the cider.  He'll probably rack back to carboy to see if the scent leaves.

he doesnt have to rack back the carboy. at least not the first thing to try. dump the preasure in the keg, open it up and hook the gas to the liquid out line to bubble the co2 through the cider. This should scrub out some of the remaining sulfur.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:55:26 am »
The best recommendation I ever got was to ferment colder. It slows down fermentation and really helps maintain the fruit esters. Since perry is going to be light flavored anyway, this retaining those flavors is even more important.  I used to add nutrients and ferment warm - now I add no nutrients and ferment under 50F. World of difference. I use Red Star Premier Cuvee which is cold tolerant to ~40F.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:05:07 pm »
I think your initial hunch (low nutrition and stressed yeast) was probably correct. I've been using a fair amount of DAP with my ciders lately and have noticed a much lower amount of sulfur, regardless of yeast and temperature.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.