Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pickup tube not really picking up  (Read 2045 times)

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
pickup tube not really picking up
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:27:03 pm »
I've pretty much just ignored the problem and have been using my older boil pot rather than my keggle because of the issue, but I'd really rather use the keggle for fairly obvious reasons.

When the liquid gets down to about the level of the ball valve, liquid stops running.  It seems rather obvious that I don't have a good seal in the system, but further inspection says I don't (or it's infinitely small and unobservable)

Any ideas on correcting this issue?  It's really annoying having to use my auto siphon to get the remaining wort out...

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
Re: pickup tube not really picking up
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »
Tip the keggle towards the end of the pick up if the pick up is along the side.  Use some tubing to lower the outlet of the valve. 'Bout all I can think of. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:35:34 pm »
Use some tubing to lower the outlet of the valve.

oh duh.  that should do the trick.

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:37 pm »
on my keggle i use a 1/2" copper tube going into a compression fitting the tube picks from the side of the kettle and I can adjust it up or down to get right on top of the hop mass after whirlpool
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

narvin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:39:24 pm »
You don't have a good seal.

Once you get below the ball valve level, air will get sucked in around the ball valve if it doesn't fit right.  This will make you lose siphon, or introduce air that makes your pump lose prime if you have one.

Try some teflon tape on the threads.