Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A bonding moment......  (Read 3098 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
A bonding moment......
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »
So, my thirteen year old son....going on 18, is sitting in the kitchen playing with the iMac and pulling up a few comedians and laughing is ass off...... Now, normally I tune this stuff out, but it caught my ear.....and I sorta recognized the style......from a universe far, far away.....

So I pushed him over and pulled up the Carlin videos........ The kid is seriously digging it, all the way. Told him this crap was 30 years old.......he was still digging it.

It was a bonding moment.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: A bonding moment......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:51 pm »
Very cool!  I have a 7 cd set of Carlin's early stuff, 68-75, and my step daughter (17) absolutely loves it. Great to find a common ground with your kids...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »
Carlin was brilliant...and a really great guy to boot. 
I had the pleasure of working with him on TV,  in a PBS children's series (!) in the  1990's.
I managed to catch up with him a few times over the years after that when he would appeared in concert near where I live.   A real gentleman, and one of the great and wonderfully insightful comic minds of the 20th Century.
R.I.P. George....
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:31:48 am »
I had the pleasure of working with him on TV,  in a PBS children's series (!) in the  1990's.

Thomas the Tank Engine?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:55:04 am »
My wife and I saw him a couple of years before he died. His act seemed very rehearsed and memorized. We later saw him on a TV special and it was like a recording of what we had seen, although it wasn't. He was still funny, but I guess I prefer comics that ad-lib a little.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:31:30 am »
One of Carlin's great strengths was his incredibly tight writing. Every bit that you saw was polished over and over again. In a way that makes sense given his experience as an older school "take my wife" sort of comic initially.

Usually he could pull of the skill of making you believe it was off the cuff, but there's just no way to pull off that flow without the strict adherence to writing.

One of my other bits that I loved about Carlin was the way that he impacted comedy behind the scenes. Two off the top of my head are Garry Shandling. Shandling apparently drove 2 hours to a Carlin show in 1968 and offered him his material that he wrote while goofing off in college. Carlin declined but told him to come back the next night and he'd review the material with him. Sure enough, Shandling shows up the next night and there's his material marked up and dissected. Even though the material was green, Carlin apparently saw enough there to encourage Shandling to go for it.  The other is Louis CK. He routinely credits Carlin during interviews as being the guy who shook him out of his "safe" malaise when Carlin opened one of his shows straight out of the gate with an abortion joke.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:45:28 am »
"Napalm and Silly Putty" is a staple in our throne room :)  He had a mastery of words and word play that was genius.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »
Love Carlin, love Bill Hicks, love Louis CK.  Carlin is like the Granddad of them all, but I don't think Carlin was really doing his most recent style of comedy, with the questioning of the govt, anti-religion, anti-politics, etc. type comedy until Bill Hicks took that leap.  And Carlin credited Bill Hicks often for the influence Bill had on us all.  Hicks is a little abrasive, I think for a 13 year old, but hey, the truth really does hurt sometimes.
Jesse

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:27:42 pm »
I enjoyed Carlin a lot in his younger years, but in his last few he wasn't funny anymore - just angry and critical. He stopped doing comedy and did political commentary instead.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:34:19 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 08:52:53 am »

Thomas the Tank Engine?

That's the one.  "Shining Time Station", technically, which was the USA/Canada produced show that wrapped around the Thomas films. I spent several happy years working on the show (65 episodes total)  in NY and Toronto in the late 80's/early 90's.  When Ringo left  the show, I remember the surprised look on the faces around me when the producers revealed that Carlin  would be stepping into the Mr. Conductor role.
In the end, George fit right in and did a great job.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:57 am »
I enjoyed Carlin a lot in his younger years, but in his last few he wasn't funny anymore - just angry and critical. He stopped doing comedy and did political commentary instead.

While this will probably get deleted, his jokes about pussy farts were neither political or critical, just funny as hell.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:33 am »

+1  Last time I saw him was at Symphony Hall in Boston.  I was pumped up to see him.  Alas it turned out to be a night of a bitter George ranting about politics for the evening.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 01:28:23 am »
a bunch of great comics have been named but i just wanted to mention Brian Regan. My son and I absolutely love him and totally bonded listening to his CDs and watching his shows. he is a total goofball and does alot of silly voices/faces and talks alot about being a stupid kid plus as a bonus he is totally clean which makes it great for young kids. highly recommended!

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."