Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation ends in 3 days??  (Read 21589 times)

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
fermentation ends in 3 days??
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:21 am »
last sunday i brew a wheat beer kind a hefeweizen and becouse a i have in the fridge two packets of SB-06 i decided to use it.
I made a single infusion and sparging with enough hot water and after boil got a SG 1.043. I was expecting a higher reading, something like 1.050 but anyway... rehydrate the two packets and pitch when the wort was 68F, after less than 10 hours was very good activity and in the third day was suddenly stop! i check the temperature of the fermentor and it was a little low, something like 59 F and i raise it to 65-68 again.. last night i swirl the fermentor a little bit with no air lock activity..damn.. i decided to open and get a sample to have a reading and the result was 1.006,.. what!??? i tasted and was a notorius smell and taste of yeast.and wheat. (clove and banana of course also)

so my question is? do i have to wait a few days to complete the ferm and to settle down and the to improve the flavor? i didn't like it of course last night sample..
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: fermentation ends in 3 days??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:27:53 am »
so my question is? do i have to wait a few days to complete the ferm and to settle down and the to improve the flavor? i didn't like it of course last night sample..

Yes. It is advisable. You can let it sit for a couple weeks to improve.

For most beer the major part of the fermentation is done within 3 days of the first signs of vigorous fermentation. The rest is just conditioning. For a big beer it'll take longer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:33:32 am »
nice! just the exact time to our Paella party coming on soon...
thanks Euge!
Al Equihua

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »
1.043 - 1.006 is 86% attenuation. Time to settle and age a little may help it, but I'd guess that fermentation is done.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:02:56 pm »
If its a hefeweizen settling and aging very long isnt really neceassry! I usually keg my heffs after about a week and drink them as soon as theyre carbonated.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:32:43 pm »
A few extra days really can't hurt. I think it would benefit the beer. Double check the gravity in a few days and rack it if it's settled at terminal gravity.
Ron Price

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:46:55 am »
is been 16 days since i brew it and the reason i didn't bottle it is for improve flavor and i was out of bottles, but i'll bottle it tomorrow on homebrew wednesday,i found 960 ml bottles, also known of Tecate beer "Caguama" (i means:sea turtle) so, i can save time and fill those german glasses with my hefeweizen.... yeah!
(by the way.. i see videos on you tube that homebrewers give an update for their homebrewing and stuff, is it part of a tradition in the middle of the week? )
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:15:07 pm by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
I don't know about middle of the week but am trying to do two batches today.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:28:09 pm »
I decided to brew and IPA last sunday but i was for shopping with my wife and kids, so i start at 7 pm, brewing and cleaning the kitchen finished at 2:30am and at 630 i was in the shower waking up... lets go to work., man was dificult!
during the process i watched "For a few dollars more" and Fistfull of dollars, i remembered you icon Euge!, Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez... haha,oh man i enjoyed those movies, also watch a 30 min from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
Al Equihua

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:32:27 am »
I have gone from brewing to serving a Hefe in as little as 7 days and everyone loved it. It is SUPPOSED to be cloudy.  ;)
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:02:43 pm »
For a low gravity beer (<1.050) I think 3 days is great for a finished fermentation.  It shows that your yeast were strong and healthy and ready to party!  Giving the beer some time after this is advisable to "age" of course.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 07:00:54 am »
I disagree that aging is going to benefit this beer.  Hefeweizens are one style that you want to drink it all young within 2-3 months.  It's not a very strong beer with respect to alcohol or hops, so there's not much in there to keep it preserved.  Bottle it up and drink it now -- it's not going to get any better with age, and it might even decline in quality.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 12:02:58 am »
thanks to all
i bottle it yesterday, i noticed today that is a considerable sediment already like if it was bottled 3 weeks ago, i didnt disturb the fermentor sediment while racking to the bottling bucket, anyway, looks like it will be fine
almost no hop aroma and almost none in flavor too, 50% percent wheat (thats 30 malted wheat and 20% flaked wheat) and the rest are pilsner malt and some Munich..
Al Equihua

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:55 am »
Pop one in the fridge and see how it tastes.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 01:35:28 pm »
Pop one in the fridge and see how it tastes.
i'll se tomorrow how it goes,...
Al Equihua