Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rebel Brewer:Cheap Flasks  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
Re: Rebel Brewer:Cheap Flasks
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 07:57:28 am »
Wow, any company that censors reviews is very sleazy imo. With the same amount of effort, if they felt a negative review was unwarranted, they could just post a constructive response to it.

I don't know exactly how to feel about this issue.
While I know censoring reviews is a slippery slope, I have to think about some of the reviews that I have read, for other products.
Since we are talking about products that have MUCH to do with alcohol, they almost need some sort of safety net.
Think about all the angry, rambling reviews that can be typed up by drunken idiots that have a chip on their shoulder.
I'm not saying anyone in this discussion has done so, but I think you can imagine how far someone can easily go.

Rebel Brewer has always been a great source for me...
Same with Midwest.
I have their cheap dual regulator setup that's been in action for 7 years...No complaints, at all.
While I understand that others have encountered problems, I don't think it speaks to the reliability of a company, as a whole.
They are both great to deal with & I have gotten nothing but great manners & respectful service, when I have spoken to folks at both businesses.
In my experience, if there is a problem, both companies make a great attempt to 'right the wrong'.
I believe Rebel Brewer has even given me a partial refunds when shipping multiple items, without ever being contacted.

Since I live in close proximity, I frequent Midwest's store.
I can safely tell you that they are not sleazy...At least, they have never been in the past.
In all honesty, I have not received the same level of service, at any other LHBS.
We'll have to see if the new ownership upholds the same level of service.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:05:54 am by Kit B »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 09:03:31 am »
I have to agree with KitB here. not only are upset folks likely to go off the deep end but combine that with the unpleasant tendency for folks on the internet to behave in ways they NEVER would in person it could get pretty ugly pretty quick. Add to that, in the world of eCommerce, that competitors would be happy to go on line and bash the beejuhazus out of other providers and you can sort of see how it would become a requirement to monitor comments and not post all of them.

I mean I could go on line to a vendor right now and post the most untrue, vitriolic rant just because I feel like it.

It's not censorship unless it's public speach and I think a compelling argument can be made that a vendor retains private rights to their website just as they do a bricks and mortar store. 'We reserve the right...'
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline johnnyb

• Assistant Brewer
  • Pembroke, NH
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »
I know it's not protected speech but it's still pretty bad in my opinion. If they don't want to risk poor reviews, they shouldn't have built  the review feature into the software. When I see reviews on a site, I expect I am actually seeing all the reviews that where posted.

There are many web based businesses I purchase from that allow reviews, and I've seen plenty of crazy rants posted by disgruntled customers. 99% of the time it's obvious the customer is just a whacko or a jerk and no sane person holds those crazy reviews against the company. In fact, those reviews often prompt many solid reviews from satisfied customers that otherwise might not have been posted.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 06:31:19 am »
Seems reasonable enough to filter reviews based on merit.  No sense in scaring folks away from a good product for no reason.  If I were a seller and bought something in bulk for resale, you can bet I'd want to sell them.  I'm sure the people at Rebel try out potential products and wouldn't sell junk.  I've never seen a really junky pyrex-style flask either.  I've worked in labs for 20 years and can tell you that there are people that will break stuff on a weekly basis, and those that will break one thing in five years.  I call it "lab hands" and you can't really teach that.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »
I have dealt with Rebel Brewer on multiple orders and they have been great to deal with.  Their prices on grain are very good.  For a while, I was getting Rahr 2 row and Pils malt for $0.93 per pound.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!