Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Franklin's BBQ, Austin TX.  (Read 1115 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Franklin's BBQ, Austin TX.
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:14:12 am »
We were in Austin TX, and at the strong recommendation of the neice who lives in town we went to Franklins.  Stood in line  for about an hour in chilly weather, then they opened the doors and we were in line inside for about a half hour.

Was it worth it?  Best BBQ Brisket I have ever had, and I have been to 3 of the places in Lockhart TX.  Never been to Snow's in Lexington which was the top one in the last Texas Monthly BBQ issue, but Franklin's has been rated higher by some publications.  The guy has been doing BBQ for about 4 years if you believe the press clippings.  Fast learner.

If you find yourself in Austin, it is on 11th just east a block from I-35.  Go early, when they are out, they close.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Franklin's BBQ, Austin TX.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:06 am »
Bon Appétit magazine just named them the best in the country. I will certainly look them up if I am in the area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/19ttpatoski.html?_r=1
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:27:30 am »
Thanks for the link, Ron.  Will pass that on to family and friends.

The NYT article shows that he has been at it longer than was stated in another article I read on the wall while standing in line.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:58:07 am »
I'm sorry, Mine is the best in the country!

Haven't heard of Franklin's. Will have to try it. What I do know is that they will run out of the Dublin Dr Pepper soon. The plant is closing. :(

But then again I haven't been up to Austin in a few years. Will have to brave the traffic to see what this new BBQ is about- I'll have a quarter pound of each please...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis