Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Humulus Lager clone  (Read 9351 times)

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
Humulus Lager clone
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:06:21 pm »
posted this a while ago on TastyBrew, but only had one hit, so I'll try it here.  Hope you have had a chance to try The Bruery's Humulus Lager, which is a highly-hopped light-bodied lager, really a pleasure to drink since it gives you that West Coast hop bomb satisfaction without the weight of some DIPA's. The Bruery was willing to tell me that the beer uses the following ingredients:
Two-Row
C-15
Flaked Rice
Simcoe
Summit
Centennial
Mexican Lager yeast at 52F

However, they wouldn't give me amounts. Anyone willing to take a stab at a clone recipe? I'm not great at starting from scratch on a recipe, but I know a lot of you thrive on that. The Bruery website says there are 4 lbs of hops per barrel and ABV is %7.2.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Humulus Lager clone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:40:47 pm »
I've never tried the beer, but I would get 80-85% of the fermentables from the 2-row, 5-10% from flaked rice, and 5-10% from the C-15.  Mash at 152F.

Enough Summit to get 50 IBUs @ 60 min
An ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial @ 15 min
An ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial @ 5 min
An ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial, plus 1/2 ounce of Summit @ 0 min
An ounce each of Simcoe and Centennial @ dry hop

Something along those lines anyway, you can play with the hop additions quite a bit.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »
Good ideas.  I'm pretty convinced that once more people try this it will be a big hit, and possibly pointed to as the originator of the IPL (India Pale Lager) style.  Very refreshing to get all the West Coast hop flavor and aroma that you could want with the bracing bitterness of a good pilsner and a very light malt presence.  I guess it has a really small distribution right now.  The brewer says they are trying to work it into their year-round line-up, but tank space is at a premium. 

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »
I remember tasting that beer at the Southern California Homebrewers Festival.....it was amazing!!

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 10:53:03 am »
posted this a while ago on TastyBrew, but only had one hit, so I'll try it here.  Hope you have had a chance to try The Bruery's Humulus Lager, which is a highly-hopped light-bodied lager, really a pleasure to drink since it gives you that West Coast hop bomb satisfaction without the weight of some DIPA's. The Bruery was willing to tell me that the beer uses the following ingredients:
Two-Row
C-15
Flaked Rice
Simcoe
Summit
Centennial
Mexican Lager yeast at 52F

However, they wouldn't give me amounts. Anyone willing to take a stab at a clone recipe? I'm not great at starting from scratch on a recipe, but I know a lot of you thrive on that. The Bruery website says there are 4 lbs of hops per barrel and ABV is %7.2.

I've tried to duplicate this one as well.  From trial and error I think the 60 min hop additions are close to 35 IBU's.

I'm surprised that they use Mexican Lager yeast.  I was thinking it was a maltier Lager yeast with more flavor.  However, it tastes like it finishes at 1.014-1.015.  The finish on this beer doesn't taste that dry, and that is why I think the pungent hops work well.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:30:53 am »

I'm surprised that they use Mexican Lager yeast.  I was thinking it was a maltier Lager yeast with more flavor.  However, it tastes like it finishes at 1.014-1.015. 

I don't think that should comes as that big of a surprise.  According to Chris White from White Labs, the Mexican Lager yeast generally ranks the highest when they do their sensory panel studies.  I have yet to brew a lager since I learned this info, but the man does know his yeast ;D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
Good ideas.  I'm pretty convinced that once more people try this it will be a big hit, and possibly pointed to as the originator of the IPL (India Pale Lager) style.  Very refreshing to get all the West Coast hop flavor and aroma that you could want with the bracing bitterness of a good pilsner and a very light malt presence.  I guess it has a really small distribution right now.  The brewer says they are trying to work it into their year-round line-up, but tank space is at a premium. 

How old is this beer?

A local place had an IPL on tap when they opened a little over a year ago. They are primarily a lager brewery.  They use WLP-833 for many of their beers, and the Mexican Lager too.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:36:36 pm »

How old is this beer?

A local place had an IPL on tap when they opened a little over a year ago. They are primarily a lager brewery.  They use WLP-833 for many of their beers, and the Mexican Lager too.

I think it was first released in 2011.  Never saw it before.

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »

How old is this beer?

Well if it was first released in 2011, I can tell you that they were not the first to make an IPL.  Many breweries have done one before, generally as a seasonal.  Even here in Nebraska one of the local brew pubs did an IPL way back in the fall of 2010 with locally grown hops. 

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »

How old is this beer?

Well if it was first released in 2011, I can tell you that they were not the first to make an IPL.  Many breweries have done one before, generally as a seasonal.  Even here in Nebraska one of the local brew pubs did an IPL way back in the fall of 2010 with locally grown hops. 

You may be correct. H. Lager is still a great beer, and I think the style may be on the verge of becoming more widely-brewed. Definitely worth more thought and recipe formulation from the homebrew community.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »
I think the style may be on the verge of becoming more widely-brewed. Definitely worth more thought and recipe formulation from the homebrew community.

Very interesting.  I have been thinking about a beer for the last few months.... an "American Helles" hopped westcoast IPA style. ::)

I did not know it was already a "style", although I think the name IPL is a bit odd.  Should have known, it definitely
is the time of excessive hops.

As a first experiment, I made 6 gallons of Pliny this weekend and split it for an ale/lager yeast comparison.

Offline jmwrightmegg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:07 pm »
I think the style may be on the verge of becoming more widely-brewed. Definitely worth more thought and recipe formulation from the homebrew community.

Very interesting.  I have been thinking about a beer for the last few months.... an "American Helles" hopped westcoast IPA style. ::)

I did not know it was already a "style", although I think the name IPL is a bit odd.  Should have known, it definitely
is the time of excessive hops.

Please let us know how that turns out.  I agree that "IPL" is weird.  It is classified as an "Imperial Pilsner" on Ratebeer, but of course that isn't really correct since the hop profile is wrong for a Pilsner.  Maybe "Lagered Imperial Pale (LIP) would work. 

As a first experiment, I made 6 gallons of Pliny this weekend and split it for an ale/lager yeast comparison.