Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Speed Starter?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
Re: Speed Starter?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 05:36:17 pm »
Well, it's not about starters but harvesting. But then if you crash and decant that is essentially what your doing. I think it should read within a day or two, at least that's how I read it. Pros do require a much higher degree of consistency that we do.

Someone claimed to directly repitch year old slurry--and it made beer. I'm sure it's true. I don't think it's very good idea though.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:47:59 pm by Malticulous »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »
Dan Gordon is a proponent of growing yeast not fermenting it, so a a 24 hr starter is in line with the aforementioned methodology. GB beer is amonst some of the best lagers available and I would subscribe to the idea of only growing yeast although as a homebrewer it can be challenging to stay on the yeast's schedule.

I'm not a fan of pitching spent starter wort, but starter wort that is still in the growth stage may be okay to pitch. I've done it a few times without any off-flavors. YMMV

Ron Price

Offline bigpoppa502

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »
This video is good,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0Ib7n4DIA
The Northerbrewer FAQ section is a great resource.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=100676
;D Awesome Assist!  ;D 
Thanks So Much

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 07:48:26 am »
Dan Gordon is a proponent of growing yeast not fermenting it, so a a 24 hr starter is in line with the aforementioned methodology. GB beer is amonst some of the best lagers available and I would subscribe to the idea of only growing yeast although as a homebrewer it can be challenging to stay on the yeast's schedule.

I'm not a fan of pitching spent starter wort, but starter wort that is still in the growth stage may be okay to pitch. I've done it a few times without any off-flavors. YMMV

I enjoyed his article in Zymurgy. I wish he could have spent more time one yeast. I honestly don't know how he could get enough yeast for 100 barrels without stepping it up in the fermenter.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drauflassen

Offline dee

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 11:40:56 am »
Ok.  So if I'm understanding this correctly, as long as your sanitation process is meticulous, you could drain say a gallon of chilled wort into your flask, aerate with oxygenate, pitch your yeast into the flask immediately (assuming it is at the proper fermentation temp) and then carefully add that to the main body of aerated wort when it reaches high krausen.  Has anyone done this on a homebrew scale?  I like the idea and many times weather, work and other conflicts have prevented me from pitching starters within 48 hours of making them.  This process could also save one the time and expense of making starter wort and ensure a rapid start.  What am I missing?  

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 12:26:43 pm »
Yes that's about it. Steps of 10-20% of the total size are normal, pitched at or after low krausen. The point is to keep them in the growth phase until the whole batch is there.

I've done it in the summer. It takes that long to cool the main part anyway.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 12:57:17 pm by Malticulous »