Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Friend Decanted From Fermentor  (Read 2257 times)

Offline goudron

• Cellarman
Friend Decanted From Fermentor
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »
A work buddy of mine lost his racking cane, and couldn't get his siphon going without it, so he decided to decant his beer out of the fermentor into the bottling bucket.  He gave me a couple of bottles to sample.  It's a raspberry ale of some sort.  It is cloudy, but it doesn't seem to hurt the taste - would this cloudiness be cold break proteins or just gunk from the trub?  Also, the beer is overly fizzy.  No bottles exploded, but it makes a head in the bottle when you open it, and creates quite a head in the glass.  What would be the cause of this?  Too much priming sugar?  Incomplete fermentation prior to bottling?

EDIT: Forgot to mention the beer *tasted* somewhat strongly of alcohol, but I don't think his gravity was off.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:45:22 pm by goudron »

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Friend Decanted From Fermentor
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »
Too much priming sugar?  Incomplete fermentation prior to bottling?

Could be either of those if it's consistent among all of the bottles.

The biggest concern I'd have with pouring it into the bottling bucket would be oxidation.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:00:43 pm »
Yeah, the oxidation will cause the beer to go bad very soon. Not due to infection, but due to oxidation and staling. Drink it quick! And always rack the beer, never "pour". That's a really bad move.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »
From the thread title I thought he was in the fermenter. Yeah it's generally considered a bad move to "pour" your precious brew and aerate it a second time after fermentation.

However, if it tastes good then drink it up quick! It's not one for cellaring now.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline goudron

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »
Lol, yes he had to be decanted, wouldn't fit through the hose  ;D

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:51:31 am »
A work buddy of mine lost his racking cane, and couldn't get his siphon going without it, so he decided to decant his beer out of the fermentor into the bottling bucket.
Be a friend and teach him how to start a siphon. :)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:30 am »
Overcarbonation will cause haziness when the bubbles drag yeast off the bottom.  Could also be a wheat beer, raspberry beers are commonly done on a wheat style and wheats are typically cloudy.  Strong alcohol taste might come from fermenting too warm.  Not sure decanting is going to destroy the beer either.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO