Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: does 6 row need a pritein rest?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
does 6 row need a pritein rest?
« on: January 22, 2012, 06:43:48 pm »
67% in the grist along with some flaked maize and some carahell 10l.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: does 6 row need a pritein rest?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:52:59 pm »
I've made brilliantly clear lagers using 6-row and corn with a single infusion mash so I would say that it does not need a protein rest.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:31 am »
It depends on what other fermentables you have in the mash. Most people don't use 6-row unless they are using some other fermentable that has low or no diastatic power, like corn or rice. Together these ingredients benefit from a protien rest.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:17:52 am »
According to Noonan, the weighted average of the grist should be around 10% protein. For all malt beers, a weighted average over 12% may cause haze or runoff issues. For beers using large amounts of adjuncts, too little protein may not provide adequate head, body, and yeast nutrition.

So a beer with 100% Maris Otter at ~9% protein would be ideal for a single infusion.

A wheat beer with 50% wheat malt (15%) and 50% American Pale (11%) would have an average of 13% protein and would benefit from a protein rest.

An adjunct-heavy lager with 50% 6-row (13%) and 50% rice syrup (0%) would have an average of 6.5% and would need additional protein to make an acceptable beer.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.