Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 batches ruined  (Read 7173 times)

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: 2 batches ruined
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 05:59:48 am »
Zinc and other nutrients are NOT stripped out when extract is made.  In fact, it is the exact opposite that is true.  These nutrients are concentrated.  So if you then add water on top of it that contains more salts and impurities, you end up with perhaps twice as much as you would for all-grain brewing.

The point that I think Tom might have been trying to make is that water is always low on zinc, which has been proven important for yeast health.  So that's why some people add yeast nutrients or shave a teeny tiny bit of a zinc tablet into their raw beer to help the yeast with respect to zinc and other unidentified essential nutrients that might be important for yeast health.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: 2 batches ruined
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 11:08:54 am »
Yes, exactly Dave.  If you really want to make your yeast happy, use a yeast nutrient.  Plain water/malt doesn't have everything they need.  If you are using fresh store bought yeast every time you will probably not notice a difference, but if you are constantly repitching then it will help you have more healthy yeast in subsequent batches.
Tom Schmidlin