Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation  (Read 1987 times)

Offline brewdude44

• 1st Kit
Fermentation
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:39:30 pm »
Im pretty new to homebrewing. This is my second batch. So on the third day of ferm. i had the carboy in the closet and it was getting too cold, so i moved it to about 10 feet into warmer air. The top was very foamy before the move. about 10 hours after the move, when i checked the carboy all the foam was gone. There was still alot of action coming through the overflow but no foam on top of the beer. Is that supossed to go away, or did the move have something to do with it?

Thanks,

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:44:01 pm »
You're fine.  Sounds like you moved it at high krausen and the moving may have made it drop a bit early but it doesn't matter.  The rest of the CO2 in solution is gonna be coming out for a while even if it's done.
Give a couple weeks, check the gravity and you'll be just fine.
Bubbles mean nothing.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »
Bubbles mean nothing.

You have learned well, Grasshopper....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:35:22 pm »
How cold was it getting? if it was at high krausen it doesn't seem like it could have been too cold. I don't start to worry about too cold until I drop below ~52 for ales and even then I really only worry if it's a finicky yeast, saison comes to mind.

but as was said before don't worry you are fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:23:35 pm »
I wouldn't worry about the foam, or lack of foam. I also would have left it where it was, unless below 60 or so.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:19 pm »
Bubbles mean nothing.

I like this. Probably the bulk of the fermentation is done. Moving might have disturbed the yeast but after three days it's already conditioning. So to speak.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:17 pm »
Bubbles mean nothing.

Good teachers.

Brewdude44 - Seriously, stick with these guys, they will steer you in the right direction.  Good luck with the brew.