Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding citrus flavor  (Read 11199 times)

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Adding citrus flavor
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:32:27 am »
Getting set to brew a kolsch and want to add some citrus. I have an oz of bitter orange peels and looking for suggestions on when to add. Should I add the full oz for the last 5-10 min, do half in the boil and half dry hop or all dry hop? I do full 5 gal boils with late extract method.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Adding citrus flavor
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:18 am »
Add it right when you turn off the heat - aka "knockout" or "whirlpool".

One thing I will say, the dried orange peel adds more bitterness than citrus flavor. If you are looking for citrus grate some fresh grapefruit peel (being careful not to get into the white, pulpy part) or, believe it or not, a small amount of fresh coriander also adds citrus.

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »
... If you are looking for citrus grate some fresh grapefruit peel (being careful not to get into the white, pulpy part) ...
+1

I had an IPA with a burger at Brewbakers in Visalia, CA yesterday and asked about the hops (Cascade, I was told). The server said the brewer uses grapefruit for their IPA. Nice. Unfiltered. My wife drove a bit when we got back on the road. Smartphone apps are great inventions. It sure beat fast food.

Life is sweet at 40+ IBUs.
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:37:26 pm »
Add it right when you turn off the heat - aka "knockout" or "whirlpool".

One thing I will say, the dried orange peel adds more bitterness than citrus flavor. If you are looking for citrus grate some fresh grapefruit peel (being careful not to get into the white, pulpy part) or, believe it or not, a small amount of fresh coriander also adds citrus.

Thanks for the input, I've got another recipe I'm working on and will try the grapefruit with that one I think as the heat and humidity just won't go away but I've got to get my winter beers going first!

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:13:00 am »
+1 to the coriander as that has an amazing amount of citrus/orange taste to my palate, but go light at first!!!  I had one of those moments where I looked down at the tiny amount left in the package I bought and said "why not!"...well after adding just a little more I have nothing but odd tasting orange...something beer. 
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline nairbsnave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 09:44:57 am »
Have you thought of trying Citra or Amarillo hops?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:15:03 am »
Citra is not very "citus" to my tastes. More like Mango. But I used to use a small amount of amarillo at knock out in my Belgian White ale along with Giner and Lime leaves. I stopped using it because while it did have some citrus character the hop flavor clashed with the yeast esters and made for a slightly harsh and strange character. Might work for a non-belgian style beer, I dunno.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:09:12 am »
Just wanted to get back to you all and let you know the Kolsch turned out awesome! proved to be a huge favorite of everyones. The orange peel added just enough citrus we were looking for! Based upon everyone's recommendations for grapefruit I tried that in a wheat that we are bottling this weekend, should be great!

Offline Crash Green

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:02:19 pm »
Just wanted to get back to you all and let you know the Kolsch turned out awesome! proved to be a huge favorite of everyones. The orange peel added just enough citrus we were looking for! Based upon everyone's recommendations for grapefruit I tried that in a wheat that we are bottling this weekend, should be great!

How did that wheat beer turn out?
"Start every day with a smile on your face and get it over with." -W.C. Fields

Offline mripa

• 1st Kit
  • Beer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 04:55:13 pm »
I tried something different with this batch of Wheat beer.
I boiled the Orange Peel, Grapefruit Peel and Corriander in 2 cups water first.
5 minute boil and 10 minute soak.
Strained.
Then poured in boiling wort at 5 minute till end of boil.
Still in Primary so don't know the results yet.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 08:04:58 am »

How did that wheat beer turn out?

The wheat turned out pretty darn good, I did not get as much citrus flavor out of it as I thought and I got some feedback from some that stated there was a little bitterness to it, perhaps when peeling the rind I got a little too much of the flesh but we'll be trying this again as we get into spring and try and refine things a bit.