Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Cheese Soup  (Read 2411 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Beer Cheese Soup
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:28 pm »
Anyone have a good recipe? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Beer Cheese Soup
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:35:12 pm »
I love this one and serve it at every beer event I have.  Gets raves from the crowd.  You can also add broccoli, or use veggie broth to make it vegetarian.  I generally use a German pils, but have used alt and IPA.

Potato Beer Cheese Soup
1   quart chicken broth (homemade or canned)
2 1/2 pounds potatoes, un-peeled, coarsely chopped
2   cups chopped green onions, whites and about half the green stalks
1     quart half-and-half or milk
1/4    cup soy sauce
1     teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
6     ounces shredded Swiss cheese
6     ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2    cup beer (or dry white wine or dry sherry)
In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft. Add the green onions and remove the pot from the heat. Add the half-and-half or milk to the pot.
Puree the potato-broth mixture in a blender or food processor. (You will have to do this in batches; when blending, fill the container only half full and cover the lid with a dish towel because the soup "spurts" quite violently as it's being blended.) Return the puree to the pot. Stir in the soy sauce and pep¬per and slowly bring the soup back to a simmer.
When the soup begins to sim¬mer, stir in the grated cheeses grad-ually, a handful at a time. Now gen¬tly whisk in the wine, sherry or beer.
Yields 8 servings.    
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:28 pm »
Thanks for the recipe. I always wanted to try and make some Beer Cheese Soup.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:18:06 am »
The Brewmistress made this one for a party last weekend and it was fantastic, she did closer to 16oz of pepperjack instead of swiss and 16oz. of my Steve Urquell instead of SNP or BP. It. was. delish.

1/2 cup butter
1 chopped medium sized yellow onion
At least 1/2 cup chopped carrot
At least 1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) beer of choice (recommended: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Blind Pig)
7 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, shredded
7 ounces processed Swiss cheese, shredded
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound smoked sausage (recommended: Otto's Smoked Polish Ring)

Directions

Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Saute until softened. Add flour. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth and beer. Heat until it comes to a boil. Slowly add cheese while stirring until just boiling and smooth. Add half-and-half, salt, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened. Cut smoked sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan. Saute sausage over medium heat until heated through. It will probably take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to the soup, transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot.

Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:47:50 am »
I love this one and serve it at every beer event I have.  Gets raves from the crowd.  You can also add broccoli, or use veggie broth to make it vegetarian.  I generally use a German pils, but have used alt and IPA.  

I'd just like to add I have made Denny's soup and it is fantastic. One thing I've learned when adding the beer is make sure it is room temp. It tends to separate more when it's cold.

One other thing... If you can get you hands on some ALTernate Ending beer, that would be best...  ;) Right Denny?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:51:41 am by brewmichigan »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan