Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A low blow  (Read 6466 times)

Offline loopy

• Brewer
Re: A low blow
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »
bring a corny, dont be a doof, let him admit his mistake on his own.  take it graciously. 

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:15 pm »
bring a corny, dont be a doof, let him admit his mistake on his own.  take it graciously. 

+1

A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »
It's their wedding, it's not about you.

Dude, of course it's not about me, but it's not going to be easy to let it roll off that easy, either - you ask someone if you can make a couple kegs of beer for the party, and they say "No, I'd rather spend way too much money so that someone I barely know can make a beer he doesn't care about?" The way I see it, it's like if my wife's uncle, who is an amateur woodworker but pretty damn good at it, offered to build us a baby bed and we said no, we'd rather buy it from Ikea.
Sorry, when I said "it's not about you" I just meant that people have a vision for their wedding and it's not personal.  Badly worded.

I guess I just don't see it as that insulting though.  I've asked people before who've gladly accepted, and I've offered for people who've turned me down.  It's not a big deal to me either way, they can do what they want.

Although re-reading the original post, the "what if it gets screwed up" is clearly hurtful.  A simple no thanks would have been better.  The people who've turned me down never said anything about the expected quality of the beer.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:45 pm »
i agree with tom,  a simple "no thank you, we want you to just have fun at our wedding" would have sounded better.  (you are invited right?)
Don AHA member

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »
this 'friend' french? he sounds like a typical french asshole... I think the bachelor party is the best idea.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »
this 'friend' french? he sounds like a typical french asshole... I think the bachelor party is the best idea.

Totally typical of us French. Then we throw up a white flag!  ;D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 08:25:21 pm »
sorry if you got a little french in you but when I was in France, they were a bunch of arrogant pricks...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:15:32 pm »
sorry if you got a little french in you but when I was in France, they were a bunch of arrogant pricks...

you met them all? come on man. American are arrogant pricks. Russians are arrogant pricks. when it comes down to it every succesful species and every successful member of each of those species are arrogant pricks. we all think we deserve to live more than anyone else. When I have been in France (not much but some) everyone I had an interaction with seemed perfectly civil.

Perhaps... and I am just saying perhaps here... it takes one to know one? y'know, when you act like a ... well anyway let's all drop the fill in nationality of your choice bashing and either give Phil some good, amusing or at least novel advise or not and leave it be.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »

LOL, stereotype FAIL. He's born and bred from San Diego. Leave the xenophobia at the door, please. Also, let me know of you come back, sounds like you went to all the wrong places if that was your impression. I'll show you what it's really like - you just gotta avoid certain places.

Thanks for the advice guys. Since sleeping on it, I'm feeling better. The bachelor party is supposed to be a Belgian beer cruise. I won't be brewing for that one ;-)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:06:03 pm by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 11:14:33 pm »
The bachelor party is supposed to be a Belgian beer cruise. I won't be brewing for that one ;-)
Wow.  Is this a cruise company, or are you guys renting your own boat?  how long is it?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 01:42:25 am »
The bachelor party is supposed to be a Belgian beer cruise. I won't be brewing for that one ;-)
Wow.  Is this a cruise company, or are you guys renting your own boat?  how long is it?

No clue. Supposedly it pokes around Brugges or something. I think it's this: http://www.bonbeer.com/page47.php
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:59 am »
Um, how can I put this delicately... Maybe your beer sucks? I'm kidding, of course, since I thought even a warm, flat version of your CAP tasted pretty good. But seriously, we all have our own tastes and tend to brew according to them. Perhaps he prefers the brews of the other guy. Maybe it was his way of trying NOT to hurt your feelings.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 01:51:04 am »
Um, how can I put this delicately... Maybe your beer sucks? I'm kidding, of course, since I thought even a warm, flat version of your CAP tasted pretty good. But seriously, we all have our own tastes and tend to brew according to them. Perhaps he prefers the brews of the other guy. Maybe it was his way of trying NOT to hurt your feelings.

Man I loved that beer. I really gotta make another one, and soon... I dunno about why he chose what he did, but I think a big part of it has to do with bottling capability. It also sounds like I didn't listen well enough to what he was saying, which happens sometimes.
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:35 am »
It also sounds like I didn't listen well enough to what he was saying, which happens sometimes.

I can relate...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 02:04:34 am »

No clue. Supposedly it pokes around Brugges or something. I think it's this: http://www.bonbeer.com/page47.php
That's a week long cruise!  That's his bachelor party?!  I'm really jealous!
Tom Schmidlin