General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Liquid vs Dry Extract

(1/3) > >>

nomadicvagabond:
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the pro's and con's of liquid and dry extract.  I currently use mostly liquid because I figured since it goes through less dehydration it may be changed less by the process than dry extract.  I've never read anything to this effect, it's more of an assumption.  However, I find that dry easier to work with.  So, if they both produce beers of the same quality, I'd rather make the switch over to dry more often.

I've only used dry a couple of times and one of them ended up with a bad fermentation (temp got way too high) so I don't feel like I can really make a fair comparison.  Does anyone have more experience with both and can attest to the similarities and differences in the final products?

Thanks!

a10t2:
Liquid: less expensive, attenuates better (mostly).
Dry: easier to handle, longer shelf life (especially at room temperature).

majorvices:
Liquid yeast also tends to be darker that light DME. If you really want top brew a very pale beer DME is your best alternative. If you have any qualms about its attenuation simply sub 2 - 5% of the extract with sugar.

makemehoppy:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 23, 2010, 10:52:43 PM ---Liquid: less expensive, attenuates better (mostly).
Dry: easier to handle, longer shelf life (especially at room temperature).

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I agree. LME is cheaper by the pound, but you need less DME for the same recipe. I also found DME had a better shelf life. I found the LME would darken much faster.
I found dry easier to use and easier to measure, but it left a small sticky cloud no matter how carefully I tried to handle it.

I would certainly recommend to try both and use the one that works best for you.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: makemehoppy on January 24, 2010, 06:58:02 AM ---I'm not sure I agree. LME is cheaper by the pound, but you need less DME for the same recipe.
--- End quote ---

I think if you do the math you'll find LME is actually cheaper per gravity unit.

--- Quote from: makemehoppy on January 24, 2010, 06:58:02 AM ---I found dry easier to use and easier to measure, but it left a small sticky cloud no matter how carefully I tried to handle it.
--- End quote ---

Definitely; you end up with little bits of DME sticking to everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version