Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 1/27 Edition  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 1/27 Edition
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:36:46 pm »
Oatmeal stout, perhaps. Considering letting the wort simply cool overnight before pitching yeast rather than messing around with sinks full of cold water, as I'm lazy and I don't own a wort chiller yet.  I won't get the cold break out, but I'm not sure whether I care.  Should I?

During the warmer months, I almost always end up pitching the next day as our tap water isn't cold enough for the chiller to get it all the way down.  As long as you keep things clean, you should have no problem.  The only thing I would wonder is if it would chill enough on it's own overnight.  That's a lot of thermal mass so I don't know how long it might take to get to room temperature much less pitching temperature.
Joe

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 06:39:41 am »
Rye Schwarzbier and trying Herkules hops for the first time.

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 07:16:05 am »
Kegging a porter and an ipa.  Brewing up another ipa.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline Nagel Family Brewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 02:15:53 pm »
Kegging an Amarillo & Citra IPA.  Brewing an Amarillo/Columbus/Centennial/Summit IPA. Drinking Hoppy Red Rye & Oatmeal Stout.

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »
Oatmeal stout, perhaps. Considering letting the wort simply cool overnight before pitching yeast rather than messing around with sinks full of cold water, as I'm lazy and I don't own a wort chiller yet.  I won't get the cold break out, but I'm not sure whether I care.  Should I?

During the warmer months, I almost always end up pitching the next day as our tap water isn't cold enough for the chiller to get it all the way down.  As long as you keep things clean, you should have no problem.  The only thing I would wonder is if it would chill enough on it's own overnight.  That's a lot of thermal mass so I don't know how long it might take to get to room temperature much less pitching temperature.
I don't have a sufficiently large kettle for a full boil (and I have an electric stove, though I don't mind the idea of making the apartment management replace burners), so I can chill the water I'll be diluting with. Hopefully that'll get it down far enough that it'll be cool by the next day, especially if I plunk the fermenter in a bin full of water an hour or two before pitching the yeast.  I hope. Last time, evaporation alone had the fermenter staying in the 62-64F range.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 04:08:26 pm »
Just finished the "Helles From Hell".  If it could go wrong today it did.  But in the end we made beer and hit the target OG. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 10:51:08 pm »
Was going to make a cascade/amarillo/citra IPA, but decided instead on sunday to brew a hop-bursted all-citra IPA.  I've never used this hop before, but am excited to see how this works out.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 07:22:09 am »
Kegged and dry hopped the late hopped pale ale I made with nelson sauvin.  I can't wait for this one to be ready.  The sample tasted fantastic and the aroma was already heavenly.  Four or five days on the hops and then another week to carb and condition and it'll be in my glass.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 12:13:17 pm »
A Maibock.  It looks to be over 7%, so I am calling it "Major Maibock".  A 10 gallon batch - it was close to maxing out my 3 keg system, since it was a base of 25 lbs. Pilsner malt, 1 lb. carafoam, 1 lb. carahell, and 1.5 lbs. Munich.  Halletauer hops.  A slurry of WLP 800 from a pilsner I am racking over today.  I hope it is all I think it can be.

Cheers.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »
Well my Brutus handled the 10 gallon batch of BarleyWine. I calculated a 1.100 S.G. at 80% efficiency and actually ended up at 1.103! No stuck mash or nothing, so it worked great!  Sweet...now for 10 gallon of Imperial Stout....hmmm next few weeks maybe!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 09:52:20 pm »
Kegged and dry hopped the late hopped pale ale I made with nelson sauvin.  I can't wait for this one to be ready.  The sample tasted fantastic and the aroma was already heavenly.  Four or five days on the hops and then another week to carb and condition and it'll be in my glass.

I tried a pale ale tonight brewed with nelson sauvin, sorachi ace, centennial and cascade and whoa-oa-oa was it ever delicious.  Not sure how to describe it, maybe some flowery flavors going on, definitely a diffferent flavor delivery than the more common citrus and pine thing you find so often.