Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Going to Belgium, France, and Turkey  (Read 6020 times)

Offline goudron

• Cellarman
Going to Belgium, France, and Turkey
« on: January 25, 2012, 06:34:35 pm »
Sales of the product I make (organic ink for screen printing on glass) is growing a lot in Europe, so my friendly European corporate counterparts are paying my way to visit some customers over there with them.  While I am over there, what should I absolutely not miss - from a beer tasting/brewing perspective?  So far I have stops in Brussels, Paris, and Istanbul.  I haven't ever been to another continent, so I may be preoccupied with other things, but if I had to guess, I will probably spend some time drinking somewhere along the way.

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
Re: Going to Belgium, France, and Turkey
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:04:58 pm »
You could look through the books "Farmhouse Ales", "Wild Brews" and "Brew Like A Monk" and visit every possible brewery in Belgium and France in these books!!!! THAT would be an awesome trip!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:49:19 am »
Sales of the product I make (organic ink for screen printing on glass) is growing a lot in Europe, so my friendly European corporate counterparts are paying my way to visit some customers over there with them.  While I am over there, what should I absolutely not miss - from a beer tasting/brewing perspective?  So far I have stops in Brussels, Paris, and Istanbul.  I haven't ever been to another continent, so I may be preoccupied with other things, but if I had to guess, I will probably spend some time drinking somewhere along the way.

When are you hitting up Paris? Drop me a line beforehand and I can give you the personal beer tour. theoman is in Brussels, he can give you good advice for there.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 02:07:58 am »
Damn. Brussels? That's one place I'd like to drink my way through. And Istanbul? How about some Doner Kebab and Raki!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline goudron

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 04:35:52 pm »
Don't think I have time for EVERY brewery  ;)  I may be in Paris in the Monday the 6th to Wedensday the 8th range.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:04:13 am »
Don't think I have time for EVERY brewery  ;)  I may be in Paris in the Monday the 6th to Wedensday the 8th range.

Which month? :)
----

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:39 am »
What's the Brussels plan? I can certainly point you in the right direction, potentially in person.

Offline beer_crafter

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »
Brussels is AWESOME.
Do go to Cantillon.

Offline goudron

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 02:01:50 pm »
It's February (leaving this Friday afternoon).  Unfortunately, I don't have a plan yet.  Customer visits are still being scheduled, and my Europeon sales buddy will be carting my wife an me around.  If we get free drinking time, and I know ahead of time, I'll try to send some PM's :)

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »
You can't go wrong with Delirium Cafe in Brussels.  Somewhere around 2500 bottled beers will meet your needs.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 12:35:55 am »
You can't go wrong with Delirium Cafe in Brussels.  Somewhere around 2500 bottled beers will meet your needs.

The selection is good, if they actually have what you order. In my opinion, if you only go to one beer bar in Brussels, go to Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 04:29:15 am »

The selection is good, if they actually have what you order. In my opinion, if you only go to one beer bar in Brussels, go to Moeder Lambic Fontainas.

+1,000,000. I only went to Delirium once, and it was filled with smokers, eurotrash and tourists. Moeder Lambic is way, way nicer, laid back, good bar snacks, and super knowledgeable.
----

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:46:58 pm »
You can't go wrong with Delirium Cafe in Brussels.  Somewhere around 2500 bottled beers will meet your needs.

+1,000,000. I only went to Delirium once, and it was filled with smokers, eurotrash and tourists. Moeder Lambic is way, way nicer, laid back, good bar snacks, and super knowledgeable.

If you are making the quick rounds of the world, then some place like Delirium is a decent choice.  I am not saying it is the best as Belgium has plenty of good spots but if you do not have the time, then anything with 2,500 choices cannot be bad.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:53:37 pm by dbeechum »
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 01:34:27 am »
If you are making the quick rounds of the world, then some place like Delirium is a decent choice.  I am not saying it is the best as Belgium has plenty of good spots but if you do not have the time, then anything with 2,500 choices cannot be bad.

No, it's not bad. If you're looking for something specific that's hard to find, then it's a good place to look. But, if you're short on time, then that's an even better reason to go to ML Fontainas. You'll still get an excellent selection without having to filter through alcopops, and you can be more certain that your beer was treated well. On top of that the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. That's something I've never noticed at Delirium.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 02:36:51 am »

No, it's not bad. If you're looking for something specific that's hard to find, then it's a good place to look. But, if you're short on time, then that's an even better reason to go to ML Fontainas. You'll still get an excellent selection without having to filter through alcopops, and you can be more certain that your beer was treated well. On top of that the staff are knowledgeable and friendly. That's something I've never noticed at Delirium.

Those should be your two reasons right there.
----