Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First brew day mistakes  (Read 11083 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: First brew day mistakes
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 06:33:41 pm »
really "big" beers and of the 100+ gallons done this year, they've all been great!

dude we are three weeks in to the year.  you may be my hero ;D

That would be 100+ in 2011, I'm not that obsessed, I do have a real job.
Not to mention if they've all been great and really big, and it hasn't even been 4 weeks . .  ;D

This is *perfectly* achievable with a flux capacitor.

True - does your work?  mine is in the shop ;)

I sent mine out to be cleaned!
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline 202brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 05:52:47 pm »
Hilarious. I'm also just took up homebrewing and made basically exactly the same rookie mistakes (except the 5gal carboy - yikes), then read the same books (+ JZ's "Brewing Classic Styles), and procured much of the same equipment. I just opened my first beer last week. A very hoppy IPA covered many of my mistakes, but it is still pretty "meh".

In the last six weeks I've cooked up four more batches, including my first lager. Pounding out so many beers is definitely helping me to get my technique down. I only wish I could get the results quicker so I could learn more along the way.

If I only had a flux capacitor. Oh, the things I would tell six weeks ago me.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
Brewing again this sunday. Going to try a starter for the first time. OG should be 1.050-1.053. Using WLP001, and I've read that it may not be necessary to use a starter with that gravity? Is it a "best practice" to do one anyway?

This isn't really the best answer but I've never made a starter, not for not wanting to but my brewing tends to be very spontaneous and I can never get my schedule coordinated in time to make one! I direct pitch liquid yeast either Wyeast or White labs and I do use yeast nutrient in the end of the boil to make up for it. Fermentation is generally rolling within 8 hours. I generally don't brew really "big" beers and of the 100+ gallons done this year, they've all been great!

Most everyone i know does make a starter though, regardless of the beer, they just tend to be more organized than I am in their schedule.....

omg dude.  you're my hero.  i hope to do 60 gallons this whole year!  i've really got to get up to 10 gallon batches.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 11:26:52 am »
If I only had a flux capacitor. Oh, the things I would tell six weeks ago me.

+100
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa