Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry pasteurizing sugar?  (Read 9671 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Dry pasteurizing sugar?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 01:23:22 pm »
If dumping it in dry works, then heating at 200F for x minutes would also work and might, just might, be safer.  You would not think it would be less safe, assuming you use a clean container and cover with foil to avoid something drifting in.

I'm about to put 2 lb. of unwashed, unsanitized chanterelle mushrooms into a batch of beer.  I've done it before and there have never been any problems.  If that works, putting unsanitized sugar into the fermenter will surely work.
Mushroom beer?  What kind of base beer is it?

Skotrat's Traquair House wee heavy recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline paul

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 05:58:50 pm »
I just dumped it in, dry and dirty.  If it gets infected, I'm inviting you all over to drink it.   :o

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »
I made a very nice triple that way last year.  No worries.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:42 pm »
I love a sour, count me in!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »
I have added corn sugar at high krausen in several beers and have encountered no problems.  The first time was by accident (I forgot to add it to the boil and didn't want to dilute an already pretty light beer); thereafter it just became routine.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline greenbeltbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:27 pm »
Really happy to come across this thread, just what I was looking for.  I brewed a triple planning to add sugar late to the fermenter.

Just how late should I go?  Now or wait a bit?

I'm 5 days in and my OG was 1.075, planning to add to get up to 1.090, which is 2 lbs. in 10 gallons.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:55 am »
Really happy to come across this thread, just what I was looking for.  I brewed a triple planning to add sugar late to the fermenter.

I'm 5 days in and my OG was 1.075, planning to add to get up to 1.090, which is 2 lbs. in 10 gallons.

I think now would be the best time.  I poured sugar directly into a Triple that had been fermenting for three days and it worked out great.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 07:37:14 am »

I think now would be the best time.  I poured sugar directly into a Triple that had been fermenting for three days and it worked out great.

Agreed.  Sooner is better, IMO.  If I'm adding to the fermenter, I want to do it while the beer is at high krausen and definitely before it starts to floc out.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 09:49:33 am »

Agreed.  Sooner is better, IMO.  If I'm adding to the fermenter, I want to do it while the beer is at high krausen and definitely before it starts to floc out.

Me too. Adding later means the yeast has started to go into dormancy. It is strongest now.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958