Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: FWH's - minimum pre-boil addition timeframe  (Read 1700 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
FWH's - minimum pre-boil addition timeframe
« on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
So that your FWH addition doesn't end up like a 60 minute bittering addition, how long before the boil starts do you need to add the FWH charge?  I realize that the hops are meant to go in the wort right after the mash/sparge runoff is collected in the kettle (or right after the mash runoff...).

The thing is, that I got a little absent-minded today and only added my FWH charge so that they were in the heating wort for 10 minutes before the wort reached a boil.  The chilled wort hydro sample tasted delicious so I know I'm in the clear, but I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

oops - I guess this belonged in the General Homebrewing section.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:30:18 pm by brewsumore »

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
Re: FWH's - minimum pre-boil addition timeframe
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »
The FWH are generally added to the empty kettle and are steeped while the first runnings are added and then any sparge runnings. So how long they are in there is dependent on ones brew day schedule and recipe. The  concensus is that the ibu contribution is like that of a 20 minute addition. I usually get a half hour steep for mine before the wort begins to boil but have had quicker sparges and boils, I just note the time on each one in case I want to repeat it exactly. I know of no scientific evidence or studies conducted to determine the time of the steep relative to ibu contribution. Since projected ibu's and measured ibu's are different it might be extremely tedious and difficult to determine actual FWH ibu contributions at any time length.  Sounds like you liked the taste so just note it for future tests. Something to play with forever. ;D