Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Its kind of like an alt?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Its kind of like an alt?
« on: January 26, 2012, 02:55:50 pm »
So, I wanted to brew a beer this weekend, because the beer closet is getting a bit low, and I need to keep it full. I have been reading designing great beers, and the altbier style caught my eye, mostly because I haven't seen anything that is really true to style. I went to the homebrew store without a plan, and I came back with this little idea for an altbier. I don't quite know that it is true to style, but I at least think it will be tasty. I was hoping for some feedback on what kind of challenges I could be facing, because I know that this is a little bit out there.

6lb American 2row
4lb Munich 10L
8oz Crystal 60L
4oz Wheat Malt (To help with Head retention. I have noticed a slight problem with some of my all-barley beers)

Plan is to infuse in at 145 1.5 Qt/Lb, for a beta rest. After about 15 minutes, I am going to pull a half gallon of mash and decoct it to bring it up to a beta rest at about 152. My plan is to bring straight to a boil for 20 minutes. another 15 minutes at 152, and then batch sparge up to 7 gallons.

75minute boil
1oz Magnum at 60 minutes.

Using WY1338, 2L starter is already going. I read the thread about WY1338, and decided I wanted to see how it tasted so I can join the petition to bring it back ;D

I am up for any recommendation, I just figured I would try some new things out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Its kind of like an alt?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:54 pm »
I have no grief at seeing 1338 go.  When I started brewing AG, it was alts with 1338.  But after a few years I started noticing attenuation problems with it.  I switched over to 1007 and am glad I did.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
Re: Its kind of like an alt?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:23:45 pm »
I would add 1oz of carafa for color. It looks like you will be on the light side without it.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout