General Category > Equipment and Software

me no understand refractometer correction....

(1/4) > >>

So, using the hydrometer correction calculator found here: gives me incorrect results. For instance, when I type in my original brix (12) and my final brix (5) the reading says says my final gravity is 1.002 .... however, the OG was ~1.050 and the FG is around 1.012 according my correctly calibrated hydromter (the refractometer is also correctly calibrated) ... so what's going on? Is that calculator off or WTF?

What was the final gravity reading of the refractometer?

In my experience, the correlation becomes less reliable the further you get from "normal" gravity and attenuation. At 1.050 and 76%, I don't think that's your problem though. I think high concentrations of dissolved gases also throw off the refractive index, so if fermentation is active that could be a factor. It tends to RAISE the Brix reading though, IME. 5°Bx is very low.

--- Quote from: tom on January 24, 2010, 09:16:04 AM ---What was the final gravity reading of the refractometer?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: majorvices on January 24, 2010, 08:33:32 AM ---my original brix (12) and my final brix (5)
--- End quote ---

Just checking!

ProMash gives the same results.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version