General Category > Equipment and Software

me no understand refractometer correction....

(1/4) > >>

majorvices:
So, using the hydrometer correction calculator found here: http://www.onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml gives me incorrect results. For instance, when I type in my original brix (12) and my final brix (5) the reading says says my final gravity is 1.002 .... however, the OG was ~1.050 and the FG is around 1.012 according my correctly calibrated hydromter (the refractometer is also correctly calibrated) ... so what's going on? Is that calculator off or WTF?

tom:
What was the final gravity reading of the refractometer?

a10t2:
In my experience, the correlation becomes less reliable the further you get from "normal" gravity and attenuation. At 1.050 and 76%, I don't think that's your problem though. I think high concentrations of dissolved gases also throw off the refractive index, so if fermentation is active that could be a factor. It tends to RAISE the Brix reading though, IME. 5°Bx is very low.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: tom on January 24, 2010, 09:16:04 AM ---What was the final gravity reading of the refractometer?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: majorvices on January 24, 2010, 08:33:32 AM ---my original brix (12) and my final brix (5)
--- End quote ---
;)

tom:
Just checking!

ProMash gives the same results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version