Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Supermoss HB  (Read 5821 times)

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
Supermoss HB
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:13:25 am »
Has anyone used Supermoss HB http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/SuperMossTech1.pdf and if so, what has been your experience?  I recently tried it after running out of whirlfloc and am not happy with the results.  I usually get a lot of cold break when using whirlfloc and have no issues with clarity, but when using supermoss I got very little cold break and the beer is a cloudy mess and is not dropping clear.  Switched back to whirlfloc, problem solved.

On a side note, which is the best clarifier for removing suspended proteins?
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Supermoss HB
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:32:10 am »
This is the first I've heard of this product but I am interested in hearing any other feedback. It's a red seaweed based product which should be similiar to Irish Moss.
Ron Price

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:57 am »
I've been using this stuff for years.  I bought a 4 oz container 4 years ago and I'm only 1/4 of the way through.  I only use 1/4 tsp for a 12 gallon batch.  Any more than that and the trub pile is too fluffy and the whilpool cone collapses before my kettle empties.  Just put it in 15 min before flameout according to instructions.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
I love the stuff.

I generally pull some(a small amount) of my mash runnings, mix in my yeast nutrient when the runnings are hot, let that cool a bit and then add my SuperMoss, a 1/4 tsp per 5 gallon of finished beer.  Mix that up and add it about 15-20 minutes left in the boil and begin to re-circ at that point as well.  Clears things up well!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38:17 am »
Yeah, that's what I did.  You haven't had any clarity problems in the primary?

I want to like, especially since I have 4 jars of it.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:05 am »
Nah, not really.  I recirculate with an immersion chiller so my pump shreds all the cold break.  Primary is pretty opaque even after whirlpool but  seems to clear properly once the yeasties are done.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
No problems in the primary when I shut the whirlpool down and let the break drop out for about 15 minutes.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.