Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pacman Yeast  (Read 4006 times)

Offline bruck

• Cellarman
Pacman Yeast
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:02:29 am »
So I'm brewing with the Rogue Pacman yeast today. I have not heard a bad thing about it from anyone. Is it really all that?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pacman Yeast
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:54:11 am »
IMO, it's a great yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:42:36 pm »
Yup. Especially if you get to drink 80% of the bottle and then get free yeast at the bottom. Then it's a REAL deal!
Kinda like a Cracker Jack prize!
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline jbar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:25:24 pm »
What kinds of beer styles is Pacman good for?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 05:32:20 pm »
Anything where you need a clean yeast that won't contribute its own character.  Take a look at what Rogue does with it....APA, AIPA, Am. wheat, Am. stout, porter, psuedo lagers....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bruck

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:49:34 am »
All I can say at this point is that it is bubbling away nicely and seems to be enjoying itself.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 08:32:28 am »
Anything where you need a clean yeast that won't contribute its own character.  Take a look at what Rogue does with it....APA, AIPA, Am. wheat, Am. stout, porter, psuedo lagers....

Why doesn't one just brew with US-05 all the time if this is the case then?  I remember reading about the Boulevard brewery and how what's his face the master brewer tried to push the same yeast to perform differently within different styles of beer.  Yes, one is limited by using the same yeast for every beer he makes, but you can also see how it performs with different grain bills. 
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:47 am »
Pacman is very different than 05 IMO.  Doesn't leave the beer as thin and seems cleaner.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:45:26 am »
Pacman is very different than 05 IMO.  Doesn't leave the beer as thin and seems cleaner.

Well maybe I'll brew a beer with it and harvest some of the yeast for future batches.
Jesse

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:28 am »

doesn't it floc a lot better, too?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline socalbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 11:14:02 am »
I was digging through my fridge the other day and found a pack of Fat Tire and Pac Man yeast. The Fat Tire has a date of Dec 07 and the Pac Man has a March 08 date. what gravity starter should I do to see if they are still good?
ON TAP / BOTTLED:   

FERMENTING: 

ON DECK:    Barrel Aged Barley Wine,  IPA,  Pumpkin Ale,  Flanders Red

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 11:22:52 am »
I was digging through my fridge the other day and found a pack of Fat Tire and Pac Man yeast. The Fat Tire has a date of Dec 07 and the Pac Man has a March 08 date. what gravity starter should I do to see if they are still good?

I'd say just make a small 1000ml starter to wake them up and if they do wake up, let it ferment out, cold crash, decant, and add fresh wort to build them up.  I've heard stories about people using 3 year old yeast and whatnot and not having any issues.
Jesse

Offline bruck

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »
So I have an update. Holy cow did this thing ferment quick. The major activity was over after a couple days and the yeast flocculated out really fast. I haven't taken a reading yet, but I have to assume it is close to done. That is the quickest fermentation activity I have ever seen. They must have liked the wort I cooked up for them. I hope I like the beer they sexed up for me.