Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermenter beer loss  (Read 7920 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
fermenter beer loss
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:37:22 pm »
so today i am calibrating my new kettle(various water levels to the quarter gallon and boil off tests) in preparation of brewing in the morning. 

anyway, to the point.  i'm going to be refining my new system pieces over the next few weeks.  however, i wanted to get some opinions/thoughts on how much beer people are losing for 5 gallon batches after fermenting.

i thought i would start with half a gallon and see where i am after a couple brews.

so, how much are you fellas and ladies leaving behind in the fermenter after bottling a 5 gallon batch with a siphon/racking cane?

thanks and cheers.

ryan   
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: fermenter beer loss
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40:32 pm »
I started making 5.5 gal. batches to account for loss.  I almost always end up with more than 5 gal. when I keg it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:47:07 pm »
that's about what i was thinking.

thanks denny!

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »
I lose 40 to 64 oz.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:05:33 pm »
I've always thought there was some evaporation as well as loss to the yeast-cake etc...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:11:08 pm »
Yeast, trub and beer accounts for roughly 0.5 gallons + or -. I like to siphon until I start to see cloudiness then stop the siphon at that point. I like to shoot 5.5 gal, but it's always better to target your gravity and not your volume IMO.
Ron Price

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 08:57:14 pm »
i think you lose some volume do to contraction during the cooling process as well.
Don AHA member

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:15 pm »
My batches are targeted at 6 gallons to make sure I have at least five gallons going into the keg/bottles at the end of the process.  Usually it's more than that but rarely more than 5.5 gallons and usually more like 5.25.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »
Yeast, trub and beer accounts for roughly 0.5 gallons + or -. I like to siphon until I start to see cloudiness then stop the siphon at that point. I like to shoot 5.5 gal, but it's always better to target your gravity and not your volume IMO.

Using ProMash, after some practice, now I normally can usually nail both desired volume and OG.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 01:50:52 am »
I fill the kettle up to about there, hope I have enough to fill the fermenter just above that line and try to leave most of the crud behind when bottling. I usually bottle within a liter or so of my 20 liter target. If I miss by more, oh well...

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 06:55:19 am »
I aim for 5.75 to 6 gallons of cooled wort in my kettle so that I get about 5.5 gallons in my fermenter.  Along with Denny, I usually have more than 5 gallons transferring to the keg once fermentation is complete. 
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 07:01:47 am »
i think you lose some volume do to contraction during the cooling process as well.
4%, so 5.5 gallons at the end of the boil will be 5.28 gallons chilled.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
I aim for 5.5 gallons but usually end up with slightly more than that.  I only put 5.5 into the fermenter (6-Gallon Better Bottle) and dilute and pressure can the extra for use later in starters.
Joe

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:01:57 am »
I started making 5.5 gal. batches to account for loss.  I almost always end up with more than 5 gal. when I keg it.

+1.  Same here.
Dave Zach

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »
I shoot for 5.5 gallons in the fermenter if planning to keg it and usually am very close to five gallons of beer after trub loss.  Today, I had huge hot and cold break formation on an 11-gallon batch of Citra IPA, most of which I left behind so ended up with 5.5 gallons in one bucket and 5 gallons in the other so will be 1/2 gallon shy in the keg from one fermenter.  Especially since I nailed my OG and was very close on my mash temp, right now this does not feel like much of a problem.   8)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 05:18:37 pm by brewsumore »