Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Smith Bug?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
Beer Smith Bug?
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »
I think I've noticed a bug in the last update to Beer Smith, so wanted to check with others and share.  I don't want anyone to overshoot their sparge volume until this get fixed.

I batch sparge.  On the Mash Details screen, under your mash profile, it tells you how much water to add during lautering and then the sparge.  On the most recent version, I've noticed that the amount of sparge water to add doesn't change, regardless of how much mash water you add, through changing the grist to water ratio.  I can go from 1 - 2 qt/lb, and the mash volume changes, but the sparge volume doesn't.  On the Water Vols screen, the sparge volume does change, so I think it's just the Mash Details screen has a minor bug.

EDIT - BeerSmith is great otherwise, and this is so minor its not a complaint, more of an FYI

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
Re: Beer Smith Bug?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:07:59 pm »
I don't know if it's a bug or not, but there is the statement in the brew sheet "collect till you have X gallons." I'm going to guess that it doesn't matter if you increase your mash water since it is calculating it base off boil volume.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 01:26:59 pm »
Yes that's fine if you're fly sparging, but batch sparging you're looking to drain the mash tun, refill it, then drain it again, so accurate sparge volumes in are needed.  As I said in the OP, BeerSmith is calculating it properly, there's just one window where it's not updating the number if you change from the default mash settings.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:23:46 am »
I think I've noticed a bug in the last update to Beer Smith, so wanted to check with others and share.  I don't want anyone to overshoot their sparge volume until this get fixed.

I batch sparge.  On the Mash Details screen, under your mash profile, it tells you how much water to add during lautering and then the sparge.  On the most recent version, I've noticed that the amount of sparge water to add doesn't change, regardless of how much mash water you add, through changing the grist to water ratio.  I can go from 1 - 2 qt/lb, and the mash volume changes, but the sparge volume doesn't.  On the Water Vols screen, the sparge volume does change, so I think it's just the Mash Details screen has a minor bug.

EDIT - BeerSmith is great otherwise, and this is so minor its not a complaint, more of an FYI

I had this problem a couple of times, but now I am unable to reproduce it, so I think it was some anomaly that I was creating rather than a program bug. I am careful to save after making changes, then reopen the recipe and it seems that everything then updates and repopulates properly.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"