Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rakau Hops  (Read 3976 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Rakau Hops
« on: January 28, 2012, 07:55:19 am »
I bought four ounces of Rakau hops (2011 crop). I was curious to hear if others have brewed with this? How would you describe it? What brews does it do well in? I was thinking of using it in an IPA or Saison, both styles I think the description would do well in.

Here is a description I found on Rebel Brewer:

Usage: Dual
Description: Suitable for use both as bittering and aroma. Developed as a true dual purpose variety typically with alpha acid above 10 % delivers soft bitterness through low levels of Cohumulone less than 25 % of alpha acids. Can be used for multiple additions with late hop character delivering tropical fruit aromas of passionfruit and peach. Quite high levels of oil with an H/C ratio typical of classical aroma varieties.

This variety has a lot of typical New Zealand fruity character so would be best suited to new world styles of ale and lager such as Pales and "big" IPA's.

Thanks a lot,
Kyle
Kyle M.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Rakau Hops
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:39:40 pm »
With only 4 oz, I would put it all into a single-hop, mid-gravity pale ale and see how it comes out. 
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pedalbiker

• Retailers
  • 1st Kit
    • http://www.kegglebrewing.com/
Re: Rakau Hops
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 01:49:48 pm »
I bought four ounces of Rakau hops (2011 crop). I was curious to hear if others have brewed with this? How would you describe it? What brews does it do well in? I was thinking of using it in an IPA or Saison, both styles I think the description would do well in.

Here is a description I found on Rebel Brewer:

Usage: Dual
Description: Suitable for use both as bittering and aroma. Developed as a true dual purpose variety typically with alpha acid above 10 % delivers soft bitterness through low levels of Cohumulone less than 25 % of alpha acids. Can be used for multiple additions with late hop character delivering tropical fruit aromas of passionfruit and peach. Quite high levels of oil with an H/C ratio typical of classical aroma varieties.

Where did you buy Rakau Hops.  Can never find them

This variety has a lot of typical New Zealand fruity character so would be best suited to new world styles of ale and lager such as Pales and "big" IPA's.

Thanks a lot,
Kyle
Terry Denham
T.R.U.B.  Three Rivers Underground Brewers