Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can sunlight affect wort?  (Read 8445 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Can sunlight affect wort?
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »
So I had my latest batch of IPA  (all Falconer's Flight...looking forward to this one)  cooling in an ice bath, from this afternoon's brew day.  I had to leave for a couple hours and when I came home noticed the sun was ever so slightly peeking in on some of my wort.  Just a little sliver through a window.  Will this affect my wort??  Or is direct sunlight only bad for fermented beer?
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
Re: Can sunlight affect wort?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:12:09 pm »
I dont think a little sliver of sunlight for a couple hours or less is gonna hurt your wort.  Not enough exposure.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:35:34 pm »
I dont think a little sliver of sunlight for a couple hours or less is gonna hurt your wort.  Not enough exposure.

While I generally agree, I've had hoppy IPAs skunk in less than 5 minutes when the glass was exposed to direct sunlight.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »
Ok, well I just pitched so I'll report back in a few weeks when the beer is drinkable and tell you if there were any off flavors.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:39 pm »
The skunking compounds are not present until fermentation. It's a combination of certain compounds in the hop oils and B vitamins produced by the yeast that cause the skunking from light. wort is safe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »
I've been searching the interweb for the actual article by Ray Daniels and can't find it, but memory tells me that beer needs to be fermented and contain riboflavin in order for skunking to take affect.  Unfermented wort is safe.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
The skunking compounds are not present until fermentation. It's a combination of certain compounds in the hop oils and B vitamins produced by the yeast that cause the skunking from light. wort is safe.
+1, if your wort hadn't been pitched, then there is no chance of skunking.
Brew on

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:55:45 pm »
I dont think a little sliver of sunlight for a couple hours or less is gonna hurt your wort.  Not enough exposure.

While I generally agree, I've had hoppy IPAs skunk in less than 5 minutes when the glass was exposed to direct sunlight.

Denny - I've heard similar things before, but I also read an article about a study on this that seemed to say it needed significant exposure for detectable levels of "skunking."

I'll look for that article.  I can't recall where I read it, but it was interesting.  IIRC they did three tiers of exposure and were pretty methodical.

EDIT: There's too darn many post on-line for me to find that article ever again.  I guess if it tastes skunked to you, that's enough for me.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:04:25 pm by Joe Sr. »
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 07:07:49 pm »
I've had a pint of IPA start to smell bad within minutes of taking it out into bright sunlight.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:25:02 pm »
Light colored hoppy beers skunk in a minute or 1 in direct sunlight.  It has happened to me, even in the weak Michigan sun.

Riboflavin is the B vitamin required to make the skunking happen, and this is produced by the yest.

Wort in the sun is OK, beer is not.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:41 am »
Denny - I've heard similar things before, but I also read an article about a study on this that seemed to say it needed significant exposure for detectable levels of "skunking."

I'll look for that article.  I can't recall where I read it, but it was interesting.  IIRC they did three tiers of exposure and were pretty methodical.

EDIT: There's too darn many post on-line for me to find that article ever again.  I guess if it tastes skunked to you, that's enough for me.

Yeah, it was very definitely skunked.  A very hoppy IPA and very bright direct sunlight.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:08:19 am »

Good to know. I've always wondered why people can brew outside in direct sunlight with no problems. This explains that.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:24:50 am »

Yeah, it was very definitely skunked.  A very hoppy IPA and very bright direct sunlight.

I'm sort of embarrassed to admit it, but when I have beers outside I typically have them in a red Solo cup.  Racking leaves, painting windows, and what not.

Plus, I try to put them in the shade so they don't get warm.

Maybe that helps.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:50 pm »
+1, if your wort hadn't been pitched, then there is no chance of skunking.

As I understand the chemistry, that is not true.  The skunking comes from interactions with the isomerized alpha acids.  Riboflavin (vitamin B) is one mechanism that contributes to this through a series of chemical reactions, but the iso-acids are also broken up by direct UV exposure.  I believe the energetics are such that direct light exposure requires energies approaching the UV range, while the chemistry involving riboflavin is caused by light with a broader band of wavelengths out to as long as 500 nm (green light).  Though you get riboflavin from yeast, it is also present in malt.

The skunking compound is part of the thiol family which has a ridiculous detection threshold, something like a few nano-grams per liter.  Because of the very low detection threshold and the general unpleasant odor, thiols are put in things like natural gas to make it easy to detect.

As you'd expect, there are all sorts of factors involved that will determine how much it skunks and how easy it is to detect (hop level, beer color, pH, etc.).  However, the worst light you can exposure your beer to is green (bad) to blue (worse) to UV (even worse).  It is funny because I am writing this as I watch the Superbowl ads for Bud Light Platinum which appears to be packaged in blue bottles.  For their sake I hope they are using those special lightstruck-resistent hop extracts for that.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 08:17:45 pm »
fresh wort skunking -- never had it happen, but I always protect my wort from light.

Finished beer, I've routinely skunked beer in un-opened brown bottles (for class) and I have severely skunked a picture of APA in under a minute (direct sun, and for class)

Now you know the purpose of the lime in Coruna
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)