Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: caused by a bad grain crush?  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
caused by a bad grain crush?
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:41:01 pm »
11 days ago i brewed my first IPA with Simcoe , i found it 3 weeks ago in San Diego so i used Magnum for bittering and leave it for flavor and aromas, i noticed that the grains there was not properly crushed but i just ignored it in the moment.

at 73% for efficiency i was supposed to be at 1.070 and end it with SG 1.059!! i only use 2 row and crystal 20 L becouse i was looking for a no robust body and pale wort to be acoording with the citrusy... mashed for 152F for 60 min and boil it for 90 min

is the first time i was very low in efficiency and i use WLP001 with starter, pitch it and after a late 24 hours wait it start bubbling after i swirl the fermentor a little,  dont know why actually, the temp was in 65F and as usual was well aireated
yesterday on day 10 after brewing date, i checked and i got a 1.004, The yeast in the lid had a stange aroma, just like rubber band something like that...Very  very clear beer and smell very similar of Pinot Grigio wine, that one from Costco it seems reasonable becouse the citrus aroma, so i put in 2 oz of Simcoe and let it for another 5 days maybe will go better...

Next time i'll be shure to get a double grind in the mill!! im a little worried about those aromas, tastes good but,.. mmm i don't know what so expect
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:55:40 pm by Al Equihua »
Al Equihua

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: caused by a bad grain crush?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
Could be the crush.

Have you also considered your mash parameters...like pH and water to grain ratio?

The rubber band aroma could be phenolic derived  typically caused by bacteria.
Ron Price

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:14 am »
Higher gravity beers such as OG=1.070 will reduce your efficiency.  If 73% efficiency is normal for you when you make a beer in the 1.050s, you should expect less, like maybe 63% when making a bigger beer around 1.070.  And at 1.090, you likely won't get better efficiency than about 53%.  Rough guidelines but there is certainly an effect of the poundage of grains used versus maximum efficiency if you don't take other actions such as a longer sparge and longer boil time.  If you collect enough wort for a 2 or 2.5 hour boil, then you can still get 80% efficiency.  Otherwise, with a 1 or 1.5 hour boil, no, not so easy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:20:46 am »
I must admit that in all my brews never checked a PH mash before, and im shure is gonna mean something,
i.e. my 3 last batches there are suppossed to have a FG <1.008 but is always lower than that (1.004), but never notice a weird smell, caused by a possible bug, im assuming the attenuation of my yeast are very good?? ,what else?
whats the best way to read the mash PH while brewing, the paper strips?
Al Equihua

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:25:34 am »
Higher gravity beers such as OG=1.070 will reduce your efficiency.  If 73% efficiency is normal for you when you make a beer in the 1.050s, you should expect less, like maybe 63% when making a bigger beer around 1.070.  And at 1.090, you likely won't get better efficiency than about 53%.  Rough guidelines but there is certainly an effect of the poundage of grains used versus maximum efficiency if you don't take other actions such as a longer sparge and longer boil time.  If you collect enough wort for a 2 or 2.5 hour boil, then you can still get 80% efficiency.  Otherwise, with a 1 or 1.5 hour boil, no, not so easy.
according to beersmith i hit precisely that 63% of efficiency , months ago i brew twice at the same target 1.070 and no problems at all...
Al Equihua

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:26:06 am »
I must admit that in all my brews never checked a PH mash before, and im shure is gonna mean something,
i.e. my 3 last batches there are suppossed to have a FG <1.008 but is always lower than that (1.004), but never notice a weird smell, caused by a possible bug, im assuming the attenuation of my yeast are very good?? ,what else?
whats the best way to read the mash PH while brewing, the paper strips?

I don't usually bother checking my mash pH either. I use RO water and build it up using martins spreadsheet and figure it will be close enough. If you want to check the pH the best is to get a pH meter but they can be pricey and apparently the color pHast strips work okay. but the lower than expected FG sounds to me more likely a thermo calibration issue. if you are mashing cooler than you think you are you would get a lower FG than you expect.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
Appreciate the comments here. Chasing similar gravity problems on my last two brews after equipment mods. You've given me some more ideas of things to zero in on.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"