So I'm enjoying my most recent revision of this brew as we speak. I'm really liking most of the adjustments I ended up making to this recipe. The major changes were adding gypsum, changing yeast from WLP001 to WLP051 and adding maltodextrin. The hop bite is still there, but more balanced this time around, and the mouthfeel isn't watery this time around. The only thing I think I'd change next time is the yeast. The WLP051 does not like to play nice in the flocculation department. The first beer I tried from this batch tasted like I did a shooter from a White Labs vial, and that was 10 days after bottling with the last day and a half in the fridge. Probably going to go for a less attenuative English yeast next time around.
And as far as the Columbus + Ultra hop combo goes, it's pretty nice. There's a lot of dankness on the nose and initially on the palate, but it finishes with a nice spicy noble note. It seems like it could use a little something to fill out the flavor though. Will probably add some Amarillo for floral/citrus highlights next time I use these two hops in combination.