Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Man's Night!!! New to Home Brew Competition & Need Help  (Read 2301 times)

Offline mikeyipa

• 1st Kit
Man's Night!!! New to Home Brew Competition & Need Help
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »
Hello and thanks for reading...

A group of guys in my family from Buffalo, NY all started Man's Night a few ago where a bunch of guys all got together to eat good BBQ, drink good beer and share in good company. Well the event has grown exponentially over the years and now we have a huge Man's Night each year and donate proceeds to charity. In order to offset some of the massive costs of such an event we hold "Man's Night Presents" events throughout the year. Most recently we held "Burger Bowl" an artisan burger competition where 10 teams created burger masterpieces and presented them to a hand selected panel of judges who rated them on a variety of categories, ultimately crowning one burger "king" for 2012. We host events such as this throughout the year.

As our Burger Bowl was such a success this year, we are now extremely interested in hosting a Man's Night Presents Home Brew Competition event. We want to have local brewers, from the Buffalo and surrounding areas, to come and participate in a beer competition. This totally fits into the spirit of Man's Night and would be the perfect way to put food in the background and focus on the beer, which we all love so much. Our only bump in the road right now is we have never hosted a beer competition before. We have many great ideas for the event, but we need help in the "how to" as far as setting it up, laying it out and judging it. I thought this would be a perfect forum to pose this questions, as everyone here is involved in beer competitions.

We want to make this event as successful as all the Man's Night food events have been, and are appreciative of any and all information, feedback or help anyone can provide.

If you're interested in learning a little more about Man's Night, please check out our Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mans-Night/114888928596066

And of course feel free to stop in to any of events.

Thanks.

Mike

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Man's Night!!! New to Home Brew Competition & Need Help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »
Our only bump in the road right now is we have never hosted a beer competition before. We have many great ideas for the event, but we need help in the "how to" as far as setting it up, laying it out and judging it. I thought this would be a perfect forum to pose this questions, as everyone here is involved in beer competitions.
You can go one of two ways, you can go on your own or partner with some locals who have run competitions before.

For info on how to run a BJCP style competition go here:
http://www.bjcp.org/compcenter.php

You can find info on how to connect with Buffalo area homebrew clubs here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/directories/find-a-club

Good luck!
Tom Schmidlin