Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another Keg/IPA issue...HELP!  (Read 2140 times)

Offline meistersmudge

• 1st Kit
Another Keg/IPA issue...HELP!
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:58:43 pm »
So I probably should have learned my lesson since this happened last time I kegged an IPA. I'm assuming what I have is sediment/hop debris clogging up keg. I have hooked the gas up to out and try to blow it clear...the first time i tried i got about a pint out before it clogged up again. Everytime I tried again it stayed clogged. So I pulled out the dip tube and cleaned it out and sanitized it and tied a sanitized paint strainer bag to it to help filter out the sediment. It's still pouring a very slow foam. If I'm patient and let it pour for about 5 minutes I can get a great looking pint with the perfect amount of head. Lucky for me my other keg is awesome and pouring like a champ so I can have a brew while I wait! Any ideas on how to fix the clogged keg without racking it to another keg? I'd appreciate any help. Cheers!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Another Keg/IPA issue...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:09 pm »
Keep pulling the dip tube, cleaning sanitizing and replacing until it's fixed.  It's a pain in the butt but it will eventually clear up.  I think the last time I ended up with a bunch of pellet hop sludge in the keg it took about 5 iterations before it was running well again.  I've since switched to hop bags to keep the sludge out of the kettle and the keg.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:46:01 pm »
The other option is to keep a shortened dip tube around in the event this happens again. They come in handy for this as well as dry hopping in the keg.
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:47:16 pm »
Yeah, I still haven't gotten around to cutting down my spare dip tube.  Need to put that on the to do list.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:33 am »
No need to cut, you can just carefully bend it a bit.  Or you can slip some tubing over the end, enough for the tube to slide up the wall.

When you remove the dip tube and clean it, be sure you are removing the poppet and making sure the post is cleared and cleaned as well.
Tom Schmidlin