Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keg carbonation question/problem  (Read 1800 times)

Offline hairyhood

• Cellarman
keg carbonation question/problem
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
I have noticed in my draft beer system that all of my beers have a velvety smooth characteristic to them.  They all have a good head....good lacing on the glass, but they don't seem to have a lot of bubbles in the beer.  They taste good, but I would like to have a little more carbonic bite in the glass.  I can't simply up the volumes of CO2 as this will just make them foamy.  So, I guess to simplify my beers are foamy, but not as carbonated as I would like.  I am not sure where to start to fix this issue.  All of my lines are brand new and I have thoroughly cleaned the shanks and faucest.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: keg carbonation question/problem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:55:33 am »
There is a balance between presure in the keg and beer line ID/length. You can increase the presure and the length of the beer line and end up with more co2 in the beer without a foamy pour. Check out the Draught Quality Manual for a starting place. Others will give you more detialed answers.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline hairyhood

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
I will give it a shot.  I thought that was more for controlling the foam, but I am sure you are right.  I was sure it had something to do with my beer lines....probably just the length to get the right resistance.  Thanks for the help!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »
I will give it a shot.  I thought that was more for controlling the foam, but I am sure you are right.  I was sure it had something to do with my beer lines....probably just the length to get the right resistance.  Thanks for the help!

it is about controling the foam but it's a realationship between the PSI you set your regulator at, temp of beer and length of line (actually resistance in the system) so if you are feeling your beer is undercarbed but when you up the PSI it gets foamy the answer is to up the PSI and the resistance.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce