Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keep cool for carbonation?  (Read 2058 times)

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
keep cool for carbonation?
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:21 pm »
I'm looking into getting a kegging system and have been checking out some of the local brewshops where one person told me that I need to keep the beer cold or it will loose its carbonation.  I've never heard of this.  Can anyone verify if this is true?

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
Re: keep cool for carbonation?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:10:31 pm »
Gasses dissolve into cold liquids more easily than in warm liquids. You do need to adjust the gas pressure based on the temperature of the beer for a specific level of carbonation. I would not have described it the way your LHBS did, but there is a grain of truth there.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:08:21 pm »
It won't lose any carbonation if the keg is sealed.  If you pull beers out then the beers will eventually get flatter since the warm liquid doesn't hold as much CO2, like BVB mentioned.  Turn the pressure up according to a gas P vs T table to keep the volumes you want in the beer and it will be fine (but warm).
Tom Schmidlin

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:25 pm »
thanks, guys!   for the help and for making this the most helpful homebrew forum on the net.