Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st time needing a blow off tube  (Read 4368 times)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
1st time needing a blow off tube
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:19 pm »
Greetings,

I came home from work today to find my airlock overflowing with krausen. I sanitized a blow off tube and switched out the airlock with it. I was very surprised to see this happen. The beer is an all grain Blonde with an OG of just 1.045. I'm using US-05 and didn't use a starter, but did rehydrate before pitching. It's a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon Better Bottle. Fermentation temps are holding at 64-65. So, is this normal with all grain brews?  ??? I usually do extracts and have never needed to use a blow off tube, not even with 5.5 gallon batches. The beer was brewed Sunday.

I'm curious to see your responses and thanks in advance.

TJ Cook 
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
Re: 1st time needing a blow off tube
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:17 pm »
I have had this happen with extract and all grain brews. There is no rhyme or reason as to which brews it happens to. At least that I know of. I have decided I am just going to start using a blow off tube instead of an air lock from now on.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:38:32 pm »
I do 5.5 gallon batches in 6 gallon Better Bottles so I always use a blowoff tube.  Better safe than sorry.
Joe

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:30 pm »
The first time I needed a blowoff I was out of town and had to explain to my very pis*ed off wife how to rig up a blowoff hose.  Since then I pretty much always start with a blowoff hose and go to the airlock after several days.  Any beer with lots of wheat, and beers over about 1.080 are the ones that I see really needing a blowoff hose.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:04 pm »
I appreciate the responses. I guess I've just been lucky doing extract batches the last couple years. I was thinking there could be a higher risk of blow off doing an all grain batch, but I guess not. I think I will start making it my normal practice to start out using 1 from now on.
TJ Cook

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:12 pm »
Sometimes I need one but most of the time I don't. It depends on the yeast, OG, type of fermenter and head space not to mention fermentation temp.

I check the fermenter after pitching pretty regularly and will make the switch to the blowoff hose if need be but again, most of the time it's not a problem. I also use a fermentation control chamber most of the time to keep the ale temps below 70F.
Ron Price

Offline ken

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:33:02 am »
for me, high gravity wheat beers usually call for a blowoff tube. anti-foam agents can help.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:42 am »
Every once in a while a batch will be extra foamy. It's surely not because it is all-grain.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »
anti-foam agents are key.  You don't need a lot of fermcap-S; a few drops in the starter and/or boil kettle is all you need.  The boiling step sanitizes it along with the rest of the wort. 

It keeps you from having as many "brew-catastrophe" stories to tell your buddies, but.. I'm sure there're other things you'd rather talk about ;)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:51:30 pm »
anti-foam agents are key.  You don't need a lot of fermcap-S; a few drops in the starter and/or boil kettle is all you need.  The boiling step sanitizes it along with the rest of the wort. 

I've never tried fermcap, but read that it is popular. I may pick some up on my next supply run. Thanks for the tip!
TJ Cook