Author Topic: 1st time needing a blow off tube  (Read 1907 times)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
    • View Profile
1st time needing a blow off tube
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Greetings,

I came home from work today to find my airlock overflowing with krausen. I sanitized a blow off tube and switched out the airlock with it. I was very surprised to see this happen. The beer is an all grain Blonde with an OG of just 1.045. I'm using US-05 and didn't use a starter, but did rehydrate before pitching. It's a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon Better Bottle. Fermentation temps are holding at 64-65. So, is this normal with all grain brews?  ??? I usually do extracts and have never needed to use a blow off tube, not even with 5.5 gallon batches. The beer was brewed Sunday.

I'm curious to see your responses and thanks in advance.

TJ Cook 
TJ Cook
Proud paying member of the AHA since 2013.

Fermenting: NOTHING!
In bottles: One Fruit Fly Saison, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ale, Snow Eater Winter Warmer

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
    • View Profile
Re: 1st time needing a blow off tube
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:17 PM »
I have had this happen with extract and all grain brews. There is no rhyme or reason as to which brews it happens to. At least that I know of. I have decided I am just going to start using a blow off tube instead of an air lock from now on.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
I do 5.5 gallon batches in 6 gallon Better Bottles so I always use a blowoff tube.  Better safe than sorry.
Joe

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:30 PM »
The first time I needed a blowoff I was out of town and had to explain to my very pis*ed off wife how to rig up a blowoff hose.  Since then I pretty much always start with a blowoff hose and go to the airlock after several days.  Any beer with lots of wheat, and beers over about 1.080 are the ones that I see really needing a blowoff hose.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
I appreciate the responses. I guess I've just been lucky doing extract batches the last couple years. I was thinking there could be a higher risk of blow off doing an all grain batch, but I guess not. I think I will start making it my normal practice to start out using 1 from now on.
TJ Cook

In bottles: One Fruit Fly Saison, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ale, Snow Eater Winter Warmer

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:03:12 PM »
Sometimes I need one but most of the time I don't. It depends on the yeast, OG, type of fermenter and head space not to mention fermentation temp.

I check the fermenter after pitching pretty regularly and will make the switch to the blowoff hose if need be but again, most of the time it's not a problem. I also use a fermentation control chamber most of the time to keep the ale temps below 70F.
Ron Price

Offline ken

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:33:02 AM »
for me, high gravity wheat beers usually call for a blowoff tube. anti-foam agents can help.

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
Every once in a while a batch will be extra foamy. It's surely not because it is all-grain.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »
anti-foam agents are key.  You don't need a lot of fermcap-S; a few drops in the starter and/or boil kettle is all you need.  The boiling step sanitizes it along with the rest of the wort. 

It keeps you from having as many "brew-catastrophe" stories to tell your buddies, but.. I'm sure there're other things you'd rather talk about ;)

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
anti-foam agents are key.  You don't need a lot of fermcap-S; a few drops in the starter and/or boil kettle is all you need.  The boiling step sanitizes it along with the rest of the wort. 

I've never tried fermcap, but read that it is popular. I may pick some up on my next supply run. Thanks for the tip!
TJ Cook