Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Citra hop recipe I found  (Read 851 times)

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
Re: All Citra hop recipe I found
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2023, 10:12:20 am »
Yes. And there is a setting for that in Brewfather. I think is a default and should already be accounting for the difference in your ultimate batch size.
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2023, 12:16:10 pm »
Quick update. Most of the activity in the airlock has completed. It has been in the bucket in my closet for 8 days, so I thought I would give it a gravity and taste test. Here is what I found:

Gravity: 1.003 which, given the 1.052 OG puts me at about 6.4 ABV. Not bad.

Taste test: Grapefruit lemon and citrus, finished a bit dry though. Warm and uncarbonated it didn't taste bad. I am hoping once it is carbonated and cold it will be ever better.

Next step: Take another reading on Tuesday or Wednesday and add dry hops. If all goes well, kegging or bottling will take place either Saturday or Sunday morning.

I know I missed my OG number, but the yeast did it's thing and put me in the right ABV range, so I am pretty happy there. Might adjust the grain bill next time to get my OG up a bit.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2023, 12:51:58 pm »
Quick update. Most of the activity in the airlock has completed. It has been in the bucket in my closet for 8 days, so I thought I would give it a gravity and taste test. Here is what I found:

Taste test: Grapefruit lemon and citrus, finished a bit dry though. Warm and uncarbonated it didn't taste bad. I am hoping once it is carbonated and cold it will be ever better.

Next step: Take another reading on Tuesday or Wednesday and add dry hops. If all goes well, kegging or bottling will take place either Saturday or Sunday morning.

I know I missed my OG number, but the yeast did it's thing and put me in the right ABV range, so I am pretty happy there. Might adjust the grain bill next time to get my OG up a bit.
How are you checking your gravities - hydrometer or refractometer? Have they been calibrated? I have a hard time picturing BRY-07 taking a beer down from 1.052 to 1.003. There aren't too many yeast strains that will finish with a FG that low.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2023, 01:31:13 pm »

How are you checking your gravities - hydrometer or refractometer? Have they been calibrated? I have a hard time picturing BRY-07 taking a beer down from 1.052 to 1.003. There aren't too many yeast strains that will finish with a FG that low.

Hydrometer.  Checked it twice just to make sure   my wife was right behind me.  One and a half lines below 1.000 is 1.003 to me, right?  I have checked the hydrometer in room temp water and it has read 1.000, so I think I am good.  Now you have me wondering if I screwed something up?  I was feeling pretty good about it to.  LOL.  Oh well, it is what it is.  I will check it Tuesday or Wednesday and see where I am. 

Offline Megary

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2023, 02:30:27 pm »

Hydrometer.  Checked it twice just to make sure   my wife was right behind me.  One and a half lines below 1.000 is 1.003 to me, right?  I have checked the hydrometer in room temp water and it has read 1.000, so I think I am good.  Now you have me wondering if I screwed something up?  I was feeling pretty good about it to.  LOL.  Oh well, it is what it is.  I will check it Tuesday or Wednesday and see where I am.

Was there sugar in this recipe?  I agree that 94% attenuation from BRY97 is near impossible, assuming you did use BRY97.

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2023, 09:34:15 pm »
No sugar and yes it was Bry97.  Don't know what to say, I recorded the numbers as I saw them. 

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2023, 05:10:38 pm »
As a somewhat final post to this threat, I kegged it and put the pressure to it.  about 12psi for about a week.  I got curious so I pulled a small amount.  Granted it is not quite carbed up yet, my observations are as follows: 

The aroma hit me right away.  Very citrus smelling.  Not bad, but pretty strong. 
Taste test was a very grapefruit lemon taste to it.  Not bad, but very strong.  Had a crisp finish to it as well. 

All in all, not a bad brew for a person who likes a more hop forward beer, in my opinion.  I will do it again, but up the grain bill to see if I can get a bit closer to my OG number.  Also, might experiment with adding some hops to the boil to try and difuse the Citra and balance it out a bit.  I might use some of my home grown stuff, or add Amarillo to the boil late and see if that might adjust the taste a bit. 

All in all, a drinkable beer to me.  I like the more hop forward taste and the clean crisp finish.  Is it an IPA?  Beats me.  Is it a tasty beer in my opinion?  Sure.  So I guess I can say it was a success even though I did not hit the numbers I was hoping for.  I will try it again and make a few adjustments, but all in all, not a bad beer.  Rock ON!!!!!!!!!