Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Scrapple  (Read 3805 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Scrapple
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »
So I got my pork ribs, got some hocks, got white and yellow corn meal. Prepared to make me some scrapple. Who has tips for me?

My understanding is you boil, remove meat and bone from the stock, pick the meat, puree, and return it to the stock. Boil with cornmeal and spices, cool, and pack in cake pan. Refrigerate or freeze.

Am I missing anything?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Scrapple
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:39:28 pm »
My dad always uses bread loaf pans and you have to let it sit and set up before slicing and freezing.  And other than that I'm not 100% sure.  Scrapple is one of the things I haven't gotten around to figuring out for myself yet.  It's next on my list of these types of things though.  I always have good homemade scrapple in the freezer but it won't always be there unless I figure out how to do it myself.  And homemade scrapple is the only type worth eating.

I'm sure The Professor has some tips and I'll be interested to hear them and your experience with making it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:59 pm »
Did you not make it back in 2010? IIRC that thread was hijacked by sauerkraut. And whoopie pies. ;D

Do you chill the stock to pull off any fat?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:41:26 am »
No, I think that was another PA dutch thread that first got scrapple-jacked, then kraut-jacked. I was asking around in my family for my grandma's recipe at the time. All I got was "I know she used pork ribs instead of hocks and feet."

So I figured I'd try a mix and see where that got me. And I don't know about the fat. I'd imagine a good portion gets left in to bind with the cornmeal.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't take out any of the fat.  I'm sure the old Dutchies didn't  :D
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't take out any of the fat.  I'm sure the old Dutchies didn't  :D

The only time I ever saw my grandmother pour off fat, it was into a jar to save for something else.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »
All done. Have some pictures I'll have to upload later. I made two major mistakes which probably ruined it. I added the cornmeal and the meat to the broth at the same time, and I forgot to grease the molds. I'll get pictures posted up at some point, and let you know how it all turned out once I cook a slice up.

All in all, not that much work. I would definitely consider doing a big batch in the future.