Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewpots  (Read 4418 times)

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
Brewpots
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:35:35 am »
Looking to upgrade to a pot large enough for a 7 gallon starting volume. I like the northern brewer 8 gallon megapot with valve and thermometer. I am concerned it wont be big enough for a 7 gallon boil. Any recommendations?
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewpots
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:43:58 am »
It'll work with Fermcap S.  Otherwise you'd be better off with a 10gal pot.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:45:20 am »
It can be done, but it is not fun.

I'd go with at least a 10 gallon pot, but you need to consider if you will go to larger batches in the future.  I was doing full wort boils in a 7.5 gallon pot with Fermcap-S and a spray bottle of water.  I then moved to a 10 gallon pot since I doubt I will ever do more than 5 gallon batches.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:17:55 am »
Yeah, I'd recommend you definitely step up to at least a ten gallon.  I've got the ten gallon MegaPot from NB and it's just about perfect - no thermo nor valve though.  If you can install your own thermo and/or valve, you can get the identical pot for a lot less here...

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-40.upi-sps40.0.7.htm?view=list

...or here...

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/Stainless-Pot168823
Joe

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:42 am »
I've got a 10 and start with 7. I've only had one tiny boilover and that was from really not paying attention. There have been plenty of times when I thought it would go over, but 10 seems to be the right size for a 7 gallon start.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline livefreebrewfree

• Cellarman
    • Jokesh Brewing
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:40:52 am »
I was just in this same position (see my thread at http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=10373.0 for the post I put up. I ended up getting a 10 gallon pot off Amazon and definitely don't regret it. I did a buddy brew day with two friends and they both had boilovers with their 8 gallon pots. Meanwhile, I was boiling away with no problems at all. So while I know budget fits into it a lot, you'll save yourself a ton of headaches if you save up a little more and get the bigger 10 gallon kettle.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:02:57 am by livefreebrewfree »

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 11:01:17 am »
With kettles, bigger is definitely better.  I have a 7.5g, 12g, and 25g.  I haven't actually used the 7.5g kettle in years now.  I use the 12g for my 5-8 gallon batches, and the 25g for 8-15 gallon batches.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:42 am »
I have a 7.5 gallon Brewpot that I got with my turkey fryer. If I go over 6 gallons into it, I am almost guaranteed a boilover. One of my next purchases is going to be a 15g pot so I can do either 10g batches or long boils for some of my 5 gallon batches.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »
10 gallons would be an absolute minimum for a 7 gallon boil. I went with 80qts and rarely have problems, though for many a 60qt would be ideal.

Not big enough and you run into problems. Buy too small and you'll end up regretting it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:09:46 pm by euge »
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:38 pm »
My 12g kettles works really well.  Even with the extra space it stills boils over now and then.  (See earlier comment made about not paying attention.  :'( )

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 07:32:01 am »
Thanks for the advice guys, 10 gallon NB Megapot w/ therm and ball valve looks good........or maybe the blichmann.....that guys makes some great looking gear. Anyone have any?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:35:15 am by drewbrews »
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:54 am »
On my 7.5 gallon kettle, a gallon of volume is 2 inches of vertical space.  When I start at 6.5 gallons it seems really close to the top. Now I have a 15 gallon kettle. Much better.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 01:40:51 pm »
If you have the ability to do it, either buy or build a keggle.  That way you're not buying a pot now and another pot later when you decide you want to do 10 gallon batches.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:00:47 pm »
The only downside that I see with bigger pots is they weigh more. I have a 15g aluminum pot and it's really easy to lug around and scrub out, although batches smaller than 5 gallons are kind of awkward.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline oceanselv

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 07:00:19 pm »
I use the 10 gallon mega pot for 7-8 gallon boils with no problem. If you get the valve and thermo, I would also recommend a site glass.
I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer...Abraham Lincoln

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy...... Ben Franklin