Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewpots  (Read 4419 times)

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewpots
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »
General rule of thumb is a BK that has twice the batch volume.

Example:  20 Gallon SS BK for 10 gallon batches.

However, the higher the gravity (e.g., 1.090 versus 1.050), and the larger the pre-boil volume, the greater the likelihood of a boil-over.

It won't boil over (well, usually) if you keep the lid off while the flame is on.  Having the lid partially on is fine (usually) if you're trying to sanitize the lid before Knockout--just rotate the lid every 5 minutes, but leave plenty of room for the steam to escape.

FermCap-S is good insurance, too.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »
What - I have been doing it wrong!  Big beers in my half barrel kettle.  Usually start with 13-13.5 gallons, end with 10.5.

I have learned to keep one eye on it, skim the foam, and have a spray bottle handy.  A quick hand on the propane valve helps too.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:30 am »
Ah hell a 1/2 bbl keggle is just fine for doing 10g's.  I like a solenoid controlled propane system though. 
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 07:33:19 am »
On group brew days, it is always fun to stand around the guy whose BK is filled nearly to the rim and make the occasional comment about boil overs.

Using an undersized BK means an hour (or more) wasted on each brew day stressing out about boilovers.

Use a BK with twice the capacity as your batch size, and a few drops of FermCap-S, and you're not going to have to worry as much, i.e., you can walk away and use your hour much more productively.

narvin

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 11:16:30 am »
Using an undersized BK means an hour (or more) wasted on each brew day stressing out about boilovers.

Use a BK with twice the capacity as your batch size, and or a few drops of FermCap-S, and you're not going to have to worry as much, i.e., you can walk away and use your hour much more productively.

FTFY.  Though I do like to have ample room in my kettle, there's no problem pushing it to its limit for a big batch  ;D