Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gluten Free recipes  (Read 2747 times)

Offline spydad45

• 1st Kit
Gluten Free recipes
« on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:07 pm »
Howdy, I'm not real familiar with this site, is there a place I can find recipes for a gluten free beer? My cousin's neighbor bought a sweet kegerator just before being told by his Dr. he needed a gluten free diet. He's going to subsidize some kegging equipment if I can find a palatable gluten free beer.
The Sun has left us on time.-Thomas Edison

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
Re: Gluten Free recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »
Good luck.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:56:24 pm »
your probably going to want to stick to dark beers at first. stouts, porters that kind of thing works well with gluten free grains. for extract the available options are pretty slim, basically there is white sorghum syrup and sorghum molasses. you can absolutley make decent beer this way but it is more challenging. at risk of flogging another forum I would suggest checking out home brew talk. there is a forum there specifically for gluten free brewing. I can't vouch for any of the info or recipes you get there but at least it's a place to start.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »
Howdy, I'm not real familiar with this site, is there a place I can find recipes for a gluten free beer? My cousin's neighbor bought a sweet kegerator just before being told by his Dr. he needed a gluten free diet. He's going to subsidize some kegging equipment if I can find a palatable gluten free beer.

Hi Spydad45,

Thanks for asking about GF recipes.  I know we have a few, and we will be putting those in the Homebrewopedia very soon.  Look for them under category 23 in the Beer Recipes, and we'll make a link to the main Recipe page as well.  Good luck with your gluten-free brewing!  Be sure to let us know how it works out for you and your friend.

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline dunngood

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:09 am »
 I just heard of a product that when added to the fermentation reduces the gluten levels to .0005 percent. That should be low enough for any celiac person to tolerate.

The product is an enzyme called Brewers Clarex. It is now offered by White Labs.
http://www.whitelabs.com/DSM.html

Here is more infro.

http://www.examiner.com/beer-in-national/gluten-free-beer-reduced-gluten-beer-offers-real-beer-taste-for-celiac-impaired

Has anyone tried this. As I have friends with this problem I might try it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:21:51 am »
I recently read on another forum that someone had tried making a beer using Clarex for a gluten intolerant friend.  Apparently it didn't work for her.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »
Some Gluten-Free recipes have been added to the AHA Homebrewopedia.  Good luck!

Cheers,
    Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:36:32 pm »
Two Brothers Brewing here in Illinois had their Golden Ale tested and it's below 5 ppm gluten. I reached out to them to see if they would share how they did it, but haven't heard back yet. I know it's a barley-based beer.
Mark Gres

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:42:04 pm »
Here's a link on Facebook that may be helpful: http://www.facebook.com/GlutenFreeHomeBrewing
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!